Custom Built Tank

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
I've been trying to find a cheap tank on craigslist or ebay,but it's just not happening. I've had 2 tanks sold on me already and I'm getting tired of looking. I called a local glass place to see about cutting the glass for me. The said they wont put it together and that I would have to do it myself. I've watched a lot of videos, but I'm not 100% confident in building one. What are everyone's thoughts?

It's not easy for the inexperienced. It will be messy and you will not get it perfect the first time. Or the second. Or probably the third. With all the time and money spent on silicone and cleaning, etc you are better off finding a custom tank builder because in the end it will be cheaper and a hell of a lot easier.

This is not to say you shouldn't practice by building small tanks first. But for a nice display tank, I wouldn't be building one myself with no prior experience.

It's not easy for the inexperienced. It will be messy and you will not get it perfect the first time. Or the second. Or probably the third. With all the time and money spent on silicone and cleaning, etc you are better off finding a custom tank builder because in the end it will be cheaper and a hell of a lot easier.

This is not to say you shouldn't practice by building small tanks first. But for a nice display tank, I wouldn't be building one myself with no prior experience.

I just watched quite a few videos on youtube of people building tanks at home...and quite large ones as well. It really does look easy, but looks are definitely deceiving. I found a place that sells a tank with the exact dimensions that I want, but it's $97.00 for the tank, over $100 for shipping and I really don't want to pay that...it's more than the tank costs. What to do? I'm going to call a few other places to see what they might be able to do for me. Do I need to have tempered glass for the bottom? I told the glass place that I'll need 1/2" glass. I'd like to do a 50 or 60 gallon tank. Will that glass thickness be good?

Last edited:
Um, I spent $1400 on my tank/overflow and it was a local pick up. LOL. ;)

Slapping some silicone between two pieces of glass isn't a big deal. Getting it to look good is something else. Everyone bitches about the silicone job that glasscages.com does, and they do it every day. Price out your tank on their website and see what it tells you final cost is.

Um, I spent $1400 on my tank/overflow and it was a local pick up. LOL. ;)

Slapping some silicone between two pieces of glass isn't a big deal. Getting it to look good is something else. Everyone bitches about the silicone job that glasscages.com does, and they do it every day. Price out your tank on their website and see what it tells you final cost is.

Glass cages is the website I was talking about above with the $97.00 tank. It's their 50g, 36x18x18. I sent them an email asking for an exact shipping quote. I might just have to bite the bullet and spend the money on the shipping.

Wish I had enough room for a larger tank and the money to set one up and maintain. Your tank is awesome!

It's their 50g, 36x18x18.
I have a 50g breeder those dimensions. It was my 1st reef tank 20 some yrs ago. The tank is still in my basement with the old stand and canopy.

Here's a real old pic (prob 15 yrs old)
f-tank2.jpg

Last edited:
I might be. ;) I bought it brand new......about 20 yrs ago. The tank is 3/8" glass and is in good shape and doesn't leak, but the stand and canopy are ruff looking. The canopy is make to hold anywhere from 2-4 fluorescent bulbs and 1 metal halide.

PM me if you might be interested and what you think you might want to pay.

bummer, trying to find a decent place to order a new tank from. I really like the elos complete systems, but they're a tad pricey.

Back