Cutting Acrylic

ph33nyx

Reefing newb
I found out this past weekend, when making a top for my HOB overflow, that a diamond blade on a tile saw is a great way to cut acrylic.
The edges came out fantastic!

Thanks!! I'm actually going out to cut acrylic tomorrow for my sump Refugium and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I was just going to look up how-to's in the morning.

Be careful when your cutting and snapping the acrylic. Scoring 1/8" thick is pretty easy. If your using 1/4" thick you have to score and keep scoring till you get a deep grove before your able to snap it. found this out when i built my fuge. It also helped out that my father n law is a tile man and owns his own business. I got to use his ceramic tile cutter, which is nothing more then a glorified stand which holds down the tile, scores it and then snaps it.

Be careful when your cutting and snapping the acrylic. Scoring 1/8" thick is pretty easy. If your using 1/4" thick you have to score and keep scoring till you get a deep grove before your able to snap it. found this out when i built my fuge. It also helped out that my father n law is a tile man and owns his own business. I got to use his ceramic tile cutter, which is nothing more then a glorified stand which holds down the tile, scores it and then snaps it.

That's what I liked about using the tile saw. The acrylic I was using was 1/4". I have one of those "score and snap" tile cutters, but the saw makes it so much easier.

I'm about to start a tank build from the ground up. I'm going to be using 3/8 thick acrylic. My local glass shop is going to order and cut it for me. I don't have the tools to cut that thick of acrylic and my father n law's score and snap tile cutter barely did the 1/4 thick stuff for my fuge.

If you have a cutter can you send me a link to what your using and I'll check it out and see if i can use it for my future project.

Back