Cyano Study

ZyberGoby

Because I'm clever
To all the folks out there that have a Cyano issue I'm collecting some data for leads to fixing some of our issues we run in to with it. First I'd like to know what salt mix you use. Second tank size and how much you feed, fallowed by what are your water change protocols?

I have a small cyano problem - just isolated on a few LPS corals - it just keeps coming back. Nothing on the substrate. This all started when I was running biopellets.

Instant ocean (I switch been regular and the reef stuff), feed 2x a day - 1/2 sea weed clip and pellets at night for fish. Right now because I'm staging gorgs for a build - I feed the gorgs 3x a day. The cyano problem predated the gorgs. Water change weekly - I miss a week here and there. 110 gallon, 30 gallon sump, lots of rock - probably change out 20-30 gallons a week.

Noy thank you for this info.
All the data I collect makes this interesting so please keep it coming. This will help me in the end construct my tanks I'll be testing in. The most common seems to be instant ocean mix/RC. I will be testing the 2 most used salts in my data.

I am another Cyano fighter. Instant Ocean standard (non RC). Been having issues on and off, mostly on, since November.

125gallon reef tank, 20 gal sump

lots of LR

I feed mysis/coral frenzy/cyclopeeze every other day, 10 fish (3 clowns, 4 PJ cardinals, 1 chromis, 2 wrasses)

I top off daily with 2 gallons in the winter, 1 in the summer

20-25gallons every 2 weeks, I usually try to change 10-15 weekly. I have a funky work schedule so sometimes its 10 days between my 'weekly changes', sometimes only 4-5.

8 bulb T5 fixture, brand new bulbs 2 weeks ago.

Parameters: 1.026, 79*, NH3-0, NO4-0, NO3- usually 5, don't bother checking phosphates,

TDS of 0 from the RODI, changed filters in that back in December due to a slow production rate, my first filter was pretty clogged but the unit was still functioning

I run Carbon in a reactor and dry skim, I finally broke down on Friday and dosed chemiclean. I lighted out saturday and Sunday, 30 gallon water change sunday night, Cyano is still there but definitely shrinking.

One of my Koralia 1050's spins backwards (need to call for more parts) so I am down to 3-1050's and a Mag9 return for flow. I have a WP-40 on order from the group buy so I am hoping it is mainly flow now. Cyano is definitely worse in low flow areas (to be expected)

I have had Cyano in the past in multiple tanks for varying reasons but this bout has certainly been the hardest. Couple this with a Bryopsis problem from a small free frag and I have had a frustrating winter with this tank.

I am another Cyano fighter. Instant Ocean standard (non RC). Been having issues on and off, mostly on, since November.

125gallon reef tank, 20 gal sump

lots of LR

I feed mysis/coral frenzy/cyclopeeze every other day, 10 fish (3 clowns, 4 PJ cardinals, 1 chromis, 2 wrasses)

I top off daily with 2 gallons in the winter, 1 in the summer

20-25gallons every 2 weeks, I usually try to change 10-15 weekly. I have a funky work schedule so sometimes its 10 days between my 'weekly changes', sometimes only 4-5.

8 bulb T5 fixture, brand new bulbs 2 weeks ago.

Parameters: 1.026, 79*, NH3-0, NO4-0, NO3- usually 5, don't bother checking phosphates,

TDS of 0 from the RODI, changed filters in that back in December due to a slow production rate, my first filter was pretty clogged but the unit was still functioning

I run Carbon in a reactor and dry skim, I finally broke down on Friday and dosed chemiclean. I lighted out saturday and Sunday, 30 gallon water change sunday night, Cyano is still there but definitely shrinking.

One of my Koralia 1050's spins backwards (need to call for more parts) so I am down to 3-1050's and a Mag9 return for flow. I have a WP-40 on order from the group buy so I am hoping it is mainly flow now. Cyano is definitely worse in low flow areas (to be expected)

I have had Cyano in the past in multiple tanks for varying reasons but this bout has certainly been the hardest. Couple this with a Bryopsis problem from a small free frag and I have had a frustrating winter with this tank.
That's how you give details:thumbsup:

Its all good I'm building a census with all data given. Oh I'd like to also ask what your light cycle is. as in how many hours per-day. if you have a sump/refugium with light when does that light come on and for how long. I'm working out my test tank light averages at this point.

Blues 1100-2000
Whites 1230-1900
Sump light is a marineland basic led 2300-0500
Okay so Blues on for 9 hours and Whites on for 6.5 hours and your sump light is on 3 hours later. alright here's another question for you how much macro and rock is in your sump and what kind of skimmer if any?

To all the folks out there that have a Cyano issue I'm collecting some data for leads to fixing some of our issues we run in to with it. First I'd like to know what salt mix you use. Second tank size and how much you feed, fallowed by what are your water change protocols?

I have a 75g and change 15g every other week. I do not dose any chemicals and have only 7 fish. I have 2 Geismann LED pendants they run for 12 hour cycle on their own with the sunrise and sunset functions.

I have no doubt in my mind though that the start of my cyano was the switch from Tropicmarin brand salt to the Instant Ocean brand because my store was out of the TM buckets, I just got a small bag of IO to do one change while I waited on the bucket and BOOM my tank turned to shit after that.

I have been battling it for about 8 months. I tried everything for months and months and nothing was working. I did some research and finally gave in and used 2 rounds of chemiclean which worked wonders!

I did 2 rounds of chemiclean, then ran the carbon for a couple of days and then added a fresh round of live bacteria and my tank is back to normal after months of fighting it.

I know people talk against using chemicals in tanks but it was killing my corals and my inverts, my tank was bad off. After a week of treatment my fish are healthy and my corals are no longer being covered in that slimy shit they are out and happy finally.

Thanks for your info and story I will add this to my data.

So at this point I'm still looking for a bit of data to collect also working on turning my 20g in to the test tank just trying to save up to get what I need to mod the tank.

HI,
Have a 1000 liter tank 200 liter sump. 4 tunze power heads plenty of flow. night lights on for 1 hour start of cycle (T5 1 blue 1 white ) 2 hours end of cycle .(total 3 hours)
Day lights on for 7 hours (6 x T5 mix of purple, blue & white)
Use Red Sea Coral Pro. water change every 4 weeks 250ltr. Run rowaphos reactor and carbon reactor. Have 100kg of live rock in tank and 50kg of live rock in sump. Have deep sand bed (sum only) and had chateau in the sump while running a Deltec tc 2060 skimmer.
Tank only has 2 cm sand bed. Feed seaweed clips every day as have tangs. Feed frozen food every second day (2 pellets) either mysis, brine or blood worm.
Had serious cyno outbreak with above conditions.
Used chemiclean, worked well.
Started dosing Nopox, GHA now gone completely. Got rid of chateau in sump,(dying due to lack of nutrients) Added 1kg of Seachem Matrix (claims to grow de-nitratfying bacteria) into sump and cyno has not returned. Tank is completley algae free
Readings.
sal 1.024 cal 450 mag 1400 alk 9.9 ammonia/nitrite 0 nitrate 0.02 phos 0.01

Back