Cyano?

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
I recently got a new filter from BRS so that I could run both GFO and carbon about 3 weeks ago.

I did my first change of media yesterday and I am really noticing the growth of cyano and came home to bubbles all over the glass and on many rocks.

Do you think the new filter and media could be in some way linked to this issue?

Do you think I should increase the amount of GFO or carbon?

It sucks that it seems to be having the opposite result I was looking for. :grumble:

If it is air bubbles it means your stuff is doing the job. It is the algae releasing nutrients causing the bubbles.

It seems like it is growing not going away though. I am getting red cyano bubbles on my corals and rocks and glass. I never had this before.

Can you post a picture?
Are you sure it is cyanobacteria and not a different organism like dinoflagellates?

Anecdotal info suggest that dinoflagellates bloom when too much GFO is used for the first time and trips the bacterial balance in the water.
This allows dinoflagellates to dominate as the cyanobacteria is taken out of the equation.

I've also got some stubborn cyano on kne rock. It was there before I started the BRS GFO, but it hasn't gone away and has actually started growing

Can you post a picture?
Are you sure it is cyanobacteria and not a different organism like dinoflagellates?

Anecdotal info suggest that dinoflagellates bloom when too much GFO is used for the first time and trips the bacterial balance in the water.
This allows dinoflagellates to dominate as the cyanobacteria is taken out of the equation.

After looking up what dinoflagellates is it doesn't appear to be this after all. Its not slimy or snotty just rusty dusty looking stuff. So what now. I am cleaning my glass more and my sandbed is always brown it really sucks.

Last edited:
Ooo, interesting thread. I'm just getting ready purchase a BRS reactor to run GFO. Never had dinos, but do get a small amount of cyano occasionally. Anything I can watch out for to prevent dinos from forming when I start to run it? Is it better to start off with only a little bit of GFO, or change it out more frequently in the beginning until the tank gets used to it?

I emailed BRS and they told me this when I asked what they recommend for the combination.
I am going to take pics when I get home

about a half cup of the ROX 0.8 carbon and slightly more than a cup of GFO (1.17 cups to be exact)

I am thinking my algae bloom must just be regular green algae, its not slimy and while it occasionally gets bubbles it doesnt seem to be dinos or cyano.

Here it is with some bubbles on the power head and skimmer as well as all on the glass

BmLRr.jpg

R0gSG.jpg

before you do any chemical treatment,mcheck your phosphates, and if younhave any coral check to see if there color is slowly turning brownish, it is most likely due to high phosphates i have had this happen to me, somjust keep running your carbon, and brs, maybe add a bag of api phos-zorb. This will clear up in no time. (2-4 days noticable results).

Back