cycle finished?

dwinzent

Reefing newb
I have a 120 with a wet dry that was previously used on a 210 with bio balls in it for media. i was using the table shrimp method to cycle and that seemed like it was not working seems how my nitrates never went up. however after three weeks of that i bought some bio-zyme that said i just add one dose every day for 7 days. my dog ate it so i addes for 4 days. the ph is a little low but i am getting alot of algae growth and the nitrates are still not measureable. is it safe to add fish? also i am in the process of making the artificial live rock from concrete that i found a post about on the forums. can i add that after i already have some fish? i also have about 3in of sand that i just added 5 days ago.

nitrates and ammonia are 0 my test kit however is a test kit my dad used like 20 years ago as his test kit when he got out of sw fish. it is a FasTest kit that uses dry chemical packets. i plan to get a better kit in the future since this one is almost out of chemicals.

I'd take a sample to the LFS and have them check it before I started adding fish,just to be on the safe side.

what about the artificial LR can i add after fish seems how i need to let it sit in buckets to get the salt out and the ph to stop going up could this change my tanks water parameters alot after i add it? keep in mind i purchased 160 lbs of cement to make it out of.

Test kits usually expire within a year. It's not a stretch to say that if the test kit you're using is 20 years old, you're probably not getting accurate readings.

You have several things going against you at the moment. Number one get new test kits.

Second, you don't understand the "cycle". You mentioned ammonia and Nitrates but left out NITRITES the second most important item in the cycle. I highly recommend reading a post by coral expert Eric Borneman called, "The Building of a Reef (tank)". It gives the best explanation of the cycle I've ever read. You can find it - here

Third, Wet/Dry filters are no longer recommended for reef tanks. They convert Ammonia and Nitrites fine but do nothing to get rid of NITRATES which will build up to problematic levels and fuel algae growth. I have converted a wet/dry filter to a sump/refugium with great success. Here's a link to my tank thread - Amphibious' 135 gal reef. The conversion is shown in the first page or two. Lots more good info through the thread, too.

Fourth, when making artificial rock with concrete you must soak it for 30 days in freshwater (changing the water every couple of days) to leach out the excess lime. Then, I give it one more rinse with SW from the system just to get the excess FW out. You always must be cautious when adding concrete structures to our SW tanks.

I, personally, would not be adding any livestock until the building of your reef is finished and you are sure the cycle is complete.

Dick

Excellent advice, Amphibious. On your 135 system: I don't think I've seen a cleaner or nicer looking system. The plumbing looks great. So clean. Thats on thing I dislike about most systems (and mine) there is so much crap everywhere in the cabinet. I need an area twice as large!

+1 Dcan. My pet peves are poorly planned plumbing, and messy electrical. We spend so much time and money building these things, why not spend a few extra minutes to plan it out so it looks clean, and a few extra dollars for zip ties so your cords aren't a tangled mess. I guess it doesn't bother some people the way it does me

sorry to not be clear with you when i said nitrates i meant NO2 and NO3 i have read several forums about the cycle and let me asure you i am trying to take my time on setting this thing up. i am rinsing my artificial rock which is why i was asking about adding fish before my rock. however thanks for the post about your wet dry conversion! i will consider doing this.also i was not totally clear on my filtration. the water goes from my overflow into the wet dry then goes into a refugeum and overflows into the tank. i have also done some studying about bio balls in a saltwater aquarium and i have concluded that it is a very controversial subject but have been used with success as long as they are mantained properly.

+1 Dcan. My pet peves are poorly planned plumbing, and messy electrical. We spend so much time and money building these things, why not spend a few extra minutes to plan it out so it looks clean, and a few extra dollars for zip ties so your cords aren't a tangled mess. I guess it doesn't bother some people the way it does me

AY,Your just nit pickin:mrgreen:

Excellent advice, Amphibious. On your 135 system: I don't think I've seen a cleaner or nicer looking system. The plumbing looks great. So clean. Thats on thing I dislike about most systems (and mine) there is so much crap everywhere in the cabinet. I need an area twice as large!

The clean piping job is because I am a retired pipefitter. Forty years of screwing, welding and glueing pipe together will teach you that. :Cheers:

Dick

a gift for all of you... Now use them!!!!
zip_ties.gif

Back