Cycle question

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I've been doing a ton of maintenance on my sump over the last few days. On saturday I removed all of the rubble and placed it in a bucket with water. I thought I'd get it back in the sump on Saturday, but one thing let to another and I had to fix two pumps before I could set the thing back up. Pumps are working now and my skimmer is beginning to pull out all of the sediment that had collected on the bottom of the tank. I'd like to put the rubble and chaeto back in the sump tomorrow after the skimmer has really cleared out the water but the rubble has already been sitting in the bucket without flow for 2 days now - I haven't had a heater in there either, room temp is in the 70s. I still have the sump disconnected from the DT and won't hook it up until things are good again, but I'm wondering what the chances are that the rubble will cause a small cycle in the sump? If it does, how long should I expect the tank to cycle? Would reconnecting it to my DT (which has a ton of mature live rock) help avert a cycle? Thanks!

I don't think it will cause a cycle. I presume you didn't have hitch hikers and stuff on the rocks. The bacteria would survive just fine in those conditions.

Actually there were a ton of hitchhikers. I didn't expect there to be since most of the rubble was dry when I put it in my sump, but when I pulled it out it was covered with bristleworms, stomatella snails, feather dusters, sponges, pods, collonista snails, and brittlestars.

I ended up putting the rubble back in to the sump last night but not reconnecting the sump to the DT. When I put it back in there were still a ton of snails happily cruising around, and all of the bristleworms and pods I saw were still alive (I didn't see any brittestars, but that doesn't mean they were dead). I'm hoping there wasn't that much die off, but I have no idea.... I think the water was kept warm enough, I guess my primary concern was the lack of flow for the couple of days. I guess probably my best solution is to test the water before I reconnect it to the DT....

I don't think it will cause a cycle. I presume you didn't have hitch hikers and stuff on the rocks. The bacteria would survive just fine in those conditions.

He is from Australia.... The Country of the best liverock available in the world? He probably could just pick the liverock himself from the mf ocean.... I wish I could live in AUstralia

He is from Australia.... The Country of the best liverock available in the world? He probably could just pick the liverock himself from the mf ocean.... I wish I could live in AUstralia

Huh? I think I must have missed something...

Back