cycle?

kriskatatstrophic

Reefing newb
:mrgreen:okay so i have had my tank set up for just about two weeks..my amonia spiked at 1.25 and now is droping its at .75 my nitrite NO2 is peeking at around 1.0 and my nitrateNO3 is at 15 were is my tank in the cycle and would it be safe to add ANYTHING by next weekend the 1st of may please and thanl you :mrgreen:

I would say no from what your saying, but you need to test by the next weekend. The cycle can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months so this is the patient part of having a tank. the longer you leave it, the bettery our cycle will become. we dont want you killing off any of your fishies XD

Just check your water. If the ammonia and Nitrites are gone you should do a water change to lower your nitrates. Then you should be ready to go . It all depends, so just keep checking your water.

Also you should probably get more live rock. The best to do is 1-2lbs per gallon.

Probably not. Ammonia and Nitrites need to be at 0...You want to get your Nitrates under 20ppm. With your goal being to get them at or as close to 0 as you can. Somt tanks cycle faster than others. If I was going to make a completely uneducated guess, I would say another 2-3 weeks.

+1 Jmck and Stag
Just keep testing for ammonia and nitrites.When both of those have been reading zero for a week,then its safe to add the CUC or ONE hardy fish.
Edit-Ninjaed by PRC

A diverse clean up crew would be best. A mix of snails -- nassarius, astraea, trochus, cerith.

Either a brittle or serpent star.

An emerald crab or two.

A pair of peppermint shrimp and a pair of cleaner shrimp.

And an urchin of some sort.

Back