Cycleing in less then a week?

kingfishson

Reefing newb
Im moving and upgrading my 30 gallon to a 125 gallon and I would like to move all my corals from my 30 to a new 125 but I only have 1 week to do it. what do I have to do to do it?

The problem that I see with this is, you have anemones. Those are not corals, they are picky inverts that like perfect water and established tanks. A week might be rushing it

+1 sarah, they will more around and kill everything. How do you fit all 3 nems, obc, and tje rest of them in a 30g tank! Honestly i would bring them back to a store or move the whole tank. Your adding all that new lr that needs to cycle and new water. It is alot to ask out of a new system

I would suggest this (adapt as required)

1) get some microbacter7 - this will accelerate your cycling - get an ammonia badge/ammonia absorbing sponge
2) start seeding the rock you will use in your 125 by putting it in your other tanks now (where possible you may have some real big pieces. This will limit the time you have to aquascape everything so you'll have to think through where all the rock will go and how they will fit together first. You can even get some filter media (those tube things but I don't recom bioballs) put it in a media bag and put it in your current system to start seeding it with bacteria.
3) get your sandbed ready - wash it out (you can use tap water and then just add a few drops of prime) - then store it in a bucket with "old water" from you water changes in your current system.
4) start saving old water from your current system water changes where possible
5) once you have your tank in place - put in the sandbed with the old water - install your rockwork and use as much old water as you can to fill tank.
5) get your new plumbing going (sump,returns mainly)
6) add the microbacter7
7) if you can hold off moving your corals so much the better, if not, then move them. just keep in mind you may get a diatom spike with any new tank.
8) monitor ammonia levels 2x a day - be ready to do major water changes (if necessary).
9) if you move fish and nem's - you have acclimate them - if you can hold off moving these for a month or so again so much the better
10) add your cuc last (you only need them after the fish) - and do it slowly - if these guys die off its not so easy to find the dead bodies - and you will get a crazy ammonia spike.

Your coral list has all fairly hardy corals - so you're in good shape.

good luck!

Last edited:
I would suggest this (adapt as required)

1) get some microbacter7 - this will accelerate your cycling - get an ammonia badge/ammonia absorbing sponge
2) start seeding the rock you will use in your 125 by putting it in your other tanks now (where possible you may have some real big pieces. This will limit the time you have to aquascape everything so you'll have to think through where all the rock will go and how they will fit together first. You can even get some filter media (those tube things but I don't recom bioballs) put it in a media bag and put it in your current system to start seeding it with bacteria.
3) get your sandbed ready - wash it out (you can use tap water and then just add a few drops of prime) - then store it in a bucket with "old water" from you water changes in your current system.
4) start saving old water from your current system water changes where possible
5) once you have your tank in place - put in the sandbed with the old water - install your rockwork and use as much old water as you can to fill tank.
5) get your new plumbing going (sump,returns mainly)
6) add the microbacter7
7) if you can hold off moving your corals so much the better, if not, then move them. just keep in mind you may get a diatom spike with any new tank.
8) monitor ammonia levels 2x a day - be ready to do major water changes (if necessary).

Your coral list has all fairly hardy corals - so you're in good shape.

good luck!

ok that's what ill do, ill let you guys know if I lose any/all of my likestock

Good luck. Do you run a filter on it? If so, take the filter, without washing it, and move it over to the new tank. The filter will have some beneficial bacteria built up in it. Will also help. Keep us posted.

Back