Cycling ammonia question

InsanityPrawnBoy

Reefing newb
I had an ammonia spike 2 days ago and tested today and it went back down. Did thetank cycle? Should I just wait for a diatom bloom then add a CUC? This is for my 10 gallon tank which is my first and I am alittle confused on what has happened and what I should do. Here are my readings
Paramsheetammonia.jpg

If it were me, I do a 10-15% water change, wait a day or two and test again. If you get the same results I'd say your cycle is done. As far as a cleaning crew, what were you thinking? Your tank is actually less than 10 gallons and if you don't have any algae in there right now then you won't need much of a cuc.

Your right my tank is less then 10 gallons. I only have cyano bacteria which I think has died or something because it is cover in fine sand. I was told by many people to wait for a diatom to add a CUC. For my CUC I was thinking a few nerite snails. Then later on a skunk shrimp. And a shrimp goby/pistol shrimp for my only fish. and corals of course. Maybe in 3 days I will try a water change if my parameters are at or close to 0ppm and wait for a diatom bloom then CUC snails. That sound good? I am in no rush just want input because the ammonia confused me.

Could just be a false reading on the ammonia, especially if you have no nitrites. I'd only do the water change to bring your nitrates down a little.

yup sounds good, do a water change, wait a few days, and check again :) Diatoms are not THE indicator of the cycle 0 ammonia/nitrite is :) But Diatoms are usually there.

I tested again but can't tell if it is 0, .25 or 1.0. It is yellow but not completely green. but not tan like the 0. so I can safely say it is 0-.5 ppm. I do not know. I will test again on the 2nd and if it is 0 and nitrates/ites are near 0ppm I will do a small change and wait for a bloom I guess. Unless nerites eat cyano in which case I might get 2-3 for the time being

Your nitrates won't drop unless you do water changes. I don't believe there is any cuc you can get that will eat cyano, just cut back your lighting schedule and suck out as much of the cyano as you can when you do the water change.

Back