Cycling Complete?!

RIJohn

Reefing newb
So have been checking all my water parameters daily and for the last 36hrs of have been reading zero nitrite, and the last 72hrs I have been reading zero amonia. Not sure if my testing was accurate so had the local fish store check the last three days and same results.:D

Thanks to Biffs magical Cheato my nitrates which were constantly climbing are now down to the point where both my tests and store tests are barely registering nitrates.:^:

So after ten days my tank has cycled?

Thanks for the help and insight on how to:Cheers:

You guys/girls have been a great resource and I wanted to say thank you.:bowdown:

Sounds great. what else have you tested for besides ammonia and nitrates?

I have tested for calcium. PH, amonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Alkalinity, Phosphate and carbonate hardness. With carbonate hardness I didnt understand the results, Phoshates never went higher then 0.1, PH 7.9 in the morning before the lights are on then 8.2 after lights are off.

Salinity is and has been 1.025 every test I have done with my refractometer. Nitrites never went over 0.3, Nitrates I did see climb up to 50 ppm before adding my macroaglea, since then they have decrease to the point where they dont register.

It's probably done with the initial cycle. Just move ahead slow. Try 1 fish and wait at least a month. Maybe get one easy coral such as a mushroom or small colony of zoas. Then camp for at least a couple weeks to see if it's all still stable.

Sorry but no fish yet for me:-(

This is only my first 90lbs of live rock from TBS, have to wait for the next 90lbs and clean up crew. Then after that is all set time to add fish.

For the :sfish:I am not sure where to begin, my tank is going to be Indo-Pacific only. I figured I would start with five blue-green Chromis, Then five anthias what kind dont know yet, then from there sky is the limit.

Man, sucks Richard went on vacation, I'm hoping my cycle ends the day he gets back so I don't have to wait to get part two

Man, sucks Richard went on vacation, I'm hoping my cycle ends the day he gets back so I don't have to wait to get part two

Yeah I KNOW IT SUCKS....... I AM READY FOR PART TWO AND NOW WAITING. He is supposed to back on the 20th but I have an extremely hectic weekend. I have to strip my old roof put up a new one. Pick up the truck from engine place drop off brake place wait.... then bring to trailer place wait some more... bring to get inspected wait.... go get a paper work from city to do the roof. Take wife out for her birthday saturday, start stripping bathroom for remodel, going to store get all supplys etc etc.. all in my five day vacation starting Thurs.

OH JOY owning a home is GRRREEEAAATT!!!!

Sorry but no fish yet for me:-(

This is only my first 90lbs of live rock from TBS, have to wait for the next 90lbs and clean up crew. Then after that is all set time to add fish.

For the :sfish:I am not sure where to begin, my tank is going to be Indo-Pacific only. I figured I would start with five blue-green Chromis, Then five anthias what kind dont know yet, then from there sky is the limit.

You'll probably experience another cycle if you're adding 90lbs of rock again. Best to stay patient. Wait for the new rocks to cure a bit. Give them a month in the tank to settle down.

You're doin' good! :Cheers:

Hehehe...I tend to enjoy home ownership the most around tax season :wink:

I here that taxes are funding all my home improvement projects.... my soon to be old hobby is funding my reef tank.

You'll probably experience another cycle if you're adding 90lbs of rock again. Best to stay patient. Wait for the new rocks to cure a bit. Give them a month in the tank to settle down.

You're doin' good! :Cheers:

I figured as much for another cycle. Its kinda of odd I have spent more money on this hobby then my last for start up and yet have not a fish to show for it yet. Although taking my time will ensure a happier tank, I hope.

Wait til you start buying corals! I feel like an alcoholic in a liquor store every time I'm a the fish store.

Once it cycles, and you're ready for corals, feel free to swing up to Ware, I'd be happy to give you some zoas or other frags.

Thats scary..... I tend to have an addictive personality. Hence why I am on this site with my laptop. My Itouch when wife is using the computer or I am away from the computer room, and my cell phone while I am working the field.

Although I have to say I will not be buying from my LFS store for two main reasons.

1. They are super overpriced, Zoas for like $80 for two or three heads, some go up to $120, where I have seen them online for like $20.

2. Three quarters of the corals they have that have sat at the store are showing 75% or more of their skeletons.

I dont know if they are using to much light or what but the corals dont look that healthy, at least in the frag tanks.

I'm split on buying from the lfs - the internet has unlimited variety, competitive prices, and the LFS usually has a limited stock and not much variety in what they do stock. I see stuff on the internet that is so much more interesting than I usually see at the store.

On the other hand, my LFS is a small, very personal store, and just by browsing and seeing new things, I find it a little more rewarding than the internet. Plus, I can bring in frags for trade. (and then I usually buy a lot more random corals I see) And $40/shipping almost everywhere online is brutal.

I here that I always try to help the small mom and pops but this one I dunno I think they are in for the money more then the hobby.

Back