Cycling the tank

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
I started cycling my new tank April 25. The ammonia went to .50 May 13. Then it went back to 0.
The nitrates never went up. I used rock from my established tank and damsels. Do you think it's safe to add my fish yet ? I have a Pseudochromis, Mandarin, Yellow Watchman Goby, Long Spine Sea Urchin, and a Brown Brittle Starfish.

Sounds like it's safe to me. You could try adding one of the fish, then wait a few days and watch your water parameters. After that, I'd still add the fish gradually.

True! I have one left over from cycling my tank. He chases everything and is impossible to catch. If you can get them out. On second thought, if you have to tear up everything to get them out, do it! :mrgreen:

Thanks, I only have about 6 rocks in there. Shouldn't tear too much up. I'm getting excited now. Setting up a new tank and the long wait before you can add your fish, I'm ready to start decorating their new home. I just hope the store will give me something for them. Maybe some more rocks.

Thanks for your help.....

Question... You mentioned Nitrates never went up. That's not unusual in a new tank. What you should have tested for is NITRITES. They are the second thing to look for during the cycle.

I don't know your level of experience in the hobby but, the "cycle" is confusing to most newbies. I highly recommend reading a post by coral expert Eric Borneman called, "The Building of a Reef (tank)". It gives the best explanation of the cycle I've ever read. You can find it here.

Becoming a successful reefer requires one to be responsible and constant research is the tool to accomplish that goal.

Dick

Hi Dick, my level of experience is low. I started my 46 gal. fowlr about a year and a half ago. I don't have many fish. I did use the rock from the established aquarium for the new one. I bought more rock and put in the 46 gal. tank. One of them has a clam on it. It's still alive. I'm going to take some of the sand from the 46 to put in the refugium when I transfer the fish. And put some in the new tank. Hopefully without making a mess.

I'm not making a reef tank, I'm way to inexperieced for that. I'll just stick to my fish.

Back