Cycling...why is my water cloudy?

Joelb58

Reefing newb
Hello, my first reef tank...

Last night I added dry rock, live rock, salt (1/2 cup per gallon) and sand. Its 24 hours later and my water is still extemely cloudy despite running my bio wheel the whole time. is this normal?

Oh and ditch the biowheel-- the live rockand live sand is sufficient biofiltration. The biowheel is best left for freshwater.

This is normal, the current cloudiness is probably caused by your sand getting tossed around in the tank.

You may get cloudy again due to the bacterial bloom from you initial cycle, which is normal as well.

Also, a little off topic, but are you using anything to measure the salinity in the tank aside from just measuring 1/2 cup per gallon? If not you should be measuring it with a hydrometer at a minimum or a refractometer. Using the measuring cup method can be very inaccurate over time.

Hello, my first reef tank...

Last night I added dry rock, live rock, salt (1/2 cup per gallon) and sand. Its 24 hours later and my water is still extremely cloudy despite running my bio wheel the whole time. is this normal?

Hi Joel,
I'm not sure what order you did things, but in starting a tank, it's good to start with washing the sand. This gets a lot of the fine dusty silt out. I put mine in a 5 gallon pail and filled up and stirred around, then decant off the murky water. I repeat this until fairly clear. The salt water should be made up ahead of time, though with a new tank not absolutely necessary.

Most people place the live rock on the bottom and then fill with sand, and slowly add salt water. Any way you do it, it will be stormy for a few days!

That will clear in a few days, but then you will have a bacterial haze as the tank cycles. In a few weeks, it will get crystal clear. Then you are getting there!
Good luck!

Back