Cycling

stb06

Reefing newb
Im in the second week of my cycle process and I have a pink growth on my rocks. I assume this is good. Does this mean that my cycle is doing what it is suppose to do? ANd what exactly is the growth? Algae?
Thanks in advance.

If its red then its cyano but its probably diatoms which you cant do much about...

Im also in the cycling process of my new tank...I hate waiting.

Diatoms are usually the first of the algae to show up.Then'll come hait algae and cyano.Thats when the real fun begins.
It'd be a good idea to go a head and start testing ammonia and nitrites.That way you'll how your cycle is progressing.

All the brown algae (diatoms) is going away in my tank. I assume this is a good thing. Is the cycle coming to an end?

That you wont know untill you run tests for ammonia and nitrite.Once both of those zero out,then the cycle in complete.

hopefully you already have a good skimmer running 24/7 too. One of the things i didnt do with a couple of my tanks when cycling and it made a large inpact on the amount of hair algea and cyano you see after the cycle. without skimming it provides a lot of food for that nuisense algea to feed on and flourish.

I've only got one. I have a friend who is trying to mentor me through the process. We tested the water two days ago and the test showed that my nitrates ( I think those come second ) are still not perfect but he said it would be fine to put a small frag into the tank. The xenia seem to be doing pretty well. They are actually standing tall!! Im going to try to put pics up soon.

i wouldnt listen to him anymore, your tank is still cycling so you dont want to put anything in there. and your nitrates are last to come, it goes ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

The appearance of diatom especially diatom algae that is starting to go away is usually a pretty good indicator of a tank that is cycled. How long has the tank been up and running?

At any rate if there were any significant amount of ammonia it is not likely your Xenia would be doing to well. Test for ammonia and nitrite. If they are zero you are cycled.

You may have misunderstood your friend. He was probably talking about nitrates and if so and they are under 20 or so don't sweat it. You can get them lower with water changes.

Back