Damaged Bubble Coral Rescue

breebauer

Reefing newb
I bought this from the LFs already damaged for $10. They said he had a 50/50 chance. What do you think?

11-16-07013.jpg

I say 50/50 also.Put it low flow and moderate lights.At night,if you see any feeder tentacles then try to feed it some mysis,krill or some other small meaty foods.I can clearly see the mouth,hopefully it will make it.

I agree about the survival chances. I picked up a trumpet in the same shape, or maybe a little worse. I got lucky and it is slowly coming back. you could plainly tell a difference in a month.

Bubbles are very resilient. When I boiled my tank, all I had was the skeleton left on mine, but it's slowly coming back. I think your chances are much better than 50/50.

Someone else here had a bubble get crushed, then it came back, it looked like it was just about done too... Hope it comes back..

Ok, I feel better now....
Do they usually look like that (somewhat) when they eat? It almost totally deflated.
And it took it a pretty long time to close up over the mysis.. about 1/2 hour. Is that ok too?
I hope so....

perfectly normal for a bubble coral. be sure to give it moderate flow and lighting along with the food and it should recover nicely.

I have never fed mine and I almost killed it twice. they are super hardy. if it is eating, I give it 90% for survival. the feeder tenticles are key for them. If you have two or three healthy bubbles on the skeleton, you are in business. Just don't move it much and give it a month and you will be surprised how fast it comes back.

-Doc

Someone else here had a bubble get crushed, then it came back, it looked like it was just about done too... Hope it comes back..

Yeah that was me, it actually got sucked into an inlet of a power head during a tank move Here is the link to the thread. https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/reef-talk/10380-how-resilient-bubble-corals.html

I didnt do anything special just pulled it out of the inlet. Flesh was ripped also. I think it has a good chance Especially if mine could come back from what it looked like.

Brian

Update

Update:
I took this picture today:

11-23-07045.jpg

I guess it looks a little bit better, it's hard to tell. I fed it a few more mysis today.

I really hope that it makes it. You can't tell from my crappy pictures, but it's a pretty bright green, and all of the other bubble corals I've seen are white or fleshy colored.

Thanks everyone!

Back