Damsel feeding

drsteven23

Reefing newb
I've read different things, but can anyone tell me how often you are supposed to feed damsels? I am currently feeding once a day but they always act like I've never fed them before. Thanks!

Once a day is fine it wont die and you dont risk mucking up the water. When I feed I put a tiny bit in at a time with a plastic spoon. Let the fish eat it all then put in a little more so on and so on for minute or so that way none hits the ground and is wasted.

I just use the spoon to drop the food in there thats all. My blenny however will bite the end of it because she is psycho LOL

Are you feeding with frozen food or pellets/flakes?

If you are just using flakes or pellets then just put in a few at a time make sure the fish eats it all then add a bit more.

Well maybe trying going to a petsmart or something and buying some mysis shrimp for salt water fish they will really like that and it will be better for them nutritionally. Then you can switch it up so they get a variety between the flakes and frozen

Make sure you thaw those mysis cubes first :)
I put a mysis cube in a stolen Applebee's ramikin and put that inside of a piece of tupperware (cause I don't like the smell) and stick it in the fridge to thaw. Then you just scoop out a bit of the shrimps and dump them in. It depends how many fish you have, I use about 1/2 of a cube every other day for my 2 little false perc clowns and that has worked out well for me. They go crazy for the mysis. I think fish are just pigs and will always act like they're starving. My dogs do that too. It's easy to over feed because they always get so excited to see food and cram themselves as quickly as possible. Well, I guess I do that too sometimes. Hmmm.

I bought a few clear ketchup / mustard containers at GFS (restaurant supply store) and put the frozen cube in. Put the top on (you may need to cut the tip a little) and suck up some of the tank water. Give it a few minutes to thaw and squirt in a little at a time. Works great!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/12-oz-Squeeze-Bottles-pk-Clear/dp/B000QJBNII]Amazon.com: 12-oz. Squeeze Bottles 3 pk. - Clear: Home & Garden[/ame]

Back