Damsel or no Damsel??

karie36

Reefing newb
I have had a problem with my fish dying and I cant figure out why. My parameters are in check. I have had a damsel and 2 clown fish since the tank cycled. I added a foxface about 8 months ago and it lived for a few months and died. So I didnt add anything for awhile till I did some upgrades. 3 months ago I got blue tang and my damsel bullied it to death. So about 2 months ago I tried a foxface again and made sure it was bigger than the damsel. The damsel still picked on it at first then I thought he started leaving it alone more but then it died. I got a drogon goby the same time as the foxface and its fine. If the damsel goes after the goby it goes right back at him. So im trying to decide if I should get rid of the damsel. Do you guys think thats the problem or maybe something else?

It seems like that's the obvious problem -- especially if you've seen it bullying the fish. Damsels are known to be some of the most aggressive fish in this hobby. It's not uncommon for them to bully other fish to the death. That's the main reason why it's discouraged to use damsels to cycle the tank -- you will probably regret having that fish later on when they start killing all your other fish!

You need to get rid of the damsel.

Ok thats it, its gone! I wanted to get rid of it before but my partner likes it so I was trying to give it a chance. Now maybe I can enjoy some other fish! Thanks for your opinions.

Yeah they are pretty crappy fish, overall. Sometimes you get lucky and find a nice one that minds its own business. But more often than not, they are just mean to everyone else in the tank. I used to have a blue damsel (the first fish I ever had) that would shred any corals that I put in his territory.

Just took out all my LR last week to fish out my damsel that killed my 2 black clown fish. Take em out and go to your lfs and feed him to their lion fish.

The black and white ones are pure evil. Sometimes the yellow tails are ok. I still have one of the yellow tails that went in when my tank was two weeks old. It only occasionally picks on the school of chromis.

Yeah, in my experience the worst are the three-stripes, dominoes and blues. Yellow tails can be pretty timid around other fish. I have had a yellow tail for 5+ years and it's never bugged anyone.

I was able to keep mine. I fished him out and put him in QT for 8 weeks. Now he's the least aggressive of all of my fish.

Honestly, though this breed is very aggressive in the ocean as well. I've been attacked several times snorkeling.

Back