Damselfish

Jason04r

Reefing newb
Hello guys,

Purchased a Yellow tale Damselfish yesterday not knowing what it was. I want to have 2 clown fish in my tank and i know before i setup my tank there not compatible. Not knowing what fish it was i asked before purchasing the fish if it was compatible with clown fish and he said yes.

I really like my Damselfish but i want to get clownfish.

So the question is:

Shall i purchase 2 clown fish now as each fish is new to the tank or shall i return the Damselfish to the store and get 2 clown fish?

Thanks

the damsel and the clowns will most likely be fine together.. Its more the damsel with anyother fish you put in.. Regardless, if you can get it out I would do it now and avoid the headaches of trying to catch it later..

Damsels are mean little critters. He may be friendly now, but he is small and in your size tank with a few more fish coming your way, there will be a day that you regret having that fish in there. I would suggest taking him out now and just going with the clownfish, there are a lot of varieties of clownfish however, so make sure you do your research and buy the ones you want. Dont just get whats available buy things you love

Hello guys,

Purchased a Yellow tale Damselfish yesterday not knowing what it was. I want to have 2 clown fish in my tank and i know before i setup my tank there not compatible. Not knowing what fish it was i asked before purchasing the fish if it was compatible with clown fish and he said yes.

I really like my Damselfish but i want to get clownfish.

So the question is:

Shall i purchase 2 clown fish now as each fish is new to the tank or shall i return the Damselfish to the store and get 2 clown fish?

Thanks

omg they are the devil they will get vary mean and stress and kill other fish at lest mine were murderers... but yeah they will go evil and harass your other fish they are widely known as devil fish.....

Okay,

Small problem , my local store wont take it back due to may having disease or something from my tank(?). I even said you can have it back for free but he still said no. I know he is a small shop but i was expecting him to return it.

what shall i do now? I don't know anyone in my area who would take it

+1 all, these fish are devils, thats why they call them DAMNsels :twisted: i had 3, and 2 weeks later i was down to 2, 2 ganged up on one and killed it. its hard to find people who want them.. so unfortunately i had to flush mine. LFS would not take them back :|

I though yellowtails were supposed to be a bit nicer than the other damsels? I mean, still semi-agressive but not nearly as bad as the dominos or blue damsels. I had one and it was the least aggressive of the damsels (I had dominos with it). However I did return all of them to the store though just in case, fortunately mine would take them back.

I'd keep the damsel - clownfish can be just as mean if not meaner, depending on the variety. Just remember that you'll need to get fish that can hold their own - a pajama cardinalfish, for example, would be a bad addition to a tank with damsels.

But just because they're aggressive doesn't make them impossible! Give it a chance, and if it doesn't work out, buy a fish trap, and try to trap him.

I had 3 damsels 2 yellowtail and a zebra.. One of the yellowtails was by far meaner than the zebra. I loved the zebra but that yellowtail single handededly (wow, what a word lol) killed the other yellow :( also gave my purple puseudo a nice beating. But my zebra wasnt mean at all, wasn't nice, but wasn't mean. I have now problems with my current pair of clowns and the puseudo :)

Okay the damsel is picking on my clown fish. I've currently go it in a bag with the water from my tank.

What shall i do now.. i feel terrible flushing it down the loo :/

Okay the damsel is picking on my clown fish. I've currently go it in a bag with the water from my tank.

What shall i do now.. i feel terrible flushing it down the loo :/

You will catch a lot of hell from people on this site flushing a live, healthy fish simply because you were not aware of what you were purchasing. Take it back to where you got it, and explain to the manager that you were sold the fish incorrectly, and if they wont take it back, find another fish store - both for taking this damsel, and for spending your money in the future

my Talbot damsels ended up as nem food so I did not have to take back or remove them lucky me. the yellowtails were d-bags from day on :( oddly the firefish and yellowtails were buddy's. but its always just a matter of time before they all go Judas on the other fish in the tank. there not that bright either mine would swim in to my nems hahaha. by doing that it was only a matter of time before my nems ate them :D.... damn devil fish never again. The day my clowns go section 8 is the day they are sold ..... any one want a mated pair :D J/K

Tell ya what, get a Maroon Clown and it will hold its own against a Damsel Fish. You may never put another fish in your tank, but you will still have the Damsel and a clown. Maroon clowns are quite mean also!

SO can you explain more as to why the LFS won't take the Damsel back? What are your parameters? The LFS should quarantine all fish, even returns no matter what.

Back