dark spots on chromis

jesse

Not That Kind Of Reefer
I was looking at one of my green chromis and I noticed that some scales are darker spots than others. I don't think its ick because the spots are dark not white so what can it be?

How long have you had the chromis jesse?
I had the same thing happen with all of mine. I'd get them, they'd be beautiful blue/green, then within a few days they'd get the weird blackened spots, then they'd die. Not saying the events are related but....

Ive noticed the my chromis will get these odd colored scales when they were frightened or stress, but they were usually a lighter color.

mine got attacked buy something lost some scales and the ones that came back were darker than the rest of them like a scar of sorts.

Mine had dark spots, but they eventually cleared up. My two chromis hate one another though i think it was just some battlescars.

I got 3 chromis when I started and 2 of them developed a single dark black spot and then died. One lived for a good week with the spot, but it eventually became this huge black growth that was as wide across as the poor little chromis. I never figured out what they were. I don't know if its the same thing you are seeing because on each of mine it was just a single black dot that grew into a large spot before they died. It looked fungal to me at the time but if it were to happen again I think I'd pull the fish and treat it with a maracyn/maracyn 2 antibiotic combo to see if that made any difference. Not suggesting you should do this because I have no idea what your fish have, but if what happened to my chromis were to happen again, this is the route I would try.

Maybe they have the black spot that Captain Jack Sparrow got in The Dead Mans Chest. You probably are going to want to find a jar of dirt.....

Ok that was a bad joke.....sorry about your fish...hopefully they turn out ok. I've tried to look it up but I can't find any good answers.

Sometimes our chromis have different blue/green color scales for a few minutes if the lights go off and come right back on :) They look like sparkly mermaids!

well ive had this chromis for a long time already and i noticed the spots for more than a month already. didnt think it was much but ive only seen this twice on him. usually i stare at the fish and i dont notice anything most of the time. he seems very healthy and the spots dont seem to be spreading so im guessing its fine.

im still confused tho

My chromis seemed to get dark scales as they got older -- it was just here and there, like patches of them. I wouldn't call them "spots" as it seemed to be the scale itself that would change color.

nvm i came home and it was dying so i scooped it up and waited for him to die. now the hermits are going nuts on it. at least they will be happy )=

Back