Darko's 35 gallon build

I am on the other side of the fence on hermits. I think in general snails are a waste and all they do is die and aren't very exciting except for nassarious snails. I love my hermits. I have a bunch of dwarf blue leggeds and a electric blue hermit and a scarlet hermit and they are endless workers and a lot of fun to watch. If you want a CUC that is on your rocks then get hermits. If you want something for your glass then get snails. I have both, but like I said I can't get snails to stay alive and it's not the hermits that are killing them

So here is an update as to what I have been up to. First of all Skimmer I did it well no not really my GF did she was tired of me crying about it and went and got me this J but she already told me I can’t have it until my b-day! Dammit…
http://cgi.ebay.com/REEF-OCTOPUS-DU...ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
http://cgi.ebay.com/CPR-AquaFuge-2-Hang-on-Back-Refugium-With-Pump-Small_W0QQitemZ160309536743QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item160309536743&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
Then I will just get this for a refugium, now my fist question if I do this can I get rid of my filter? Because I don’t think there will be enough room to hang all 3 off my tank?

Here are some updates, I added 10 hermit crabs to help with the algae that is for the most part under control. As well I have got a few corals that people have given meJ! The last addition is my fire fish. I am done with adding things for a while. Enjoy the pics.

IMG_5184.jpg

IMG_5140.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

IMG_4890-1.jpg

Great pics. You can do away with the filter. Also you can run it now and then with carbon. Your LR acts like a filter and adding the protein skimmer also will help alot.

Thanks everyone :) I must say I am on a local forum you guys are way nicer over here!

so right now I am just under 1.5lbs per gallon should I add more LR before taking off the filter?

My crabs seem to be short lived everyone told me they would eat my snails, well the snails are doing fine but they seem to be eating each other? I have been making sure there is some seaweed so no one is hungry but I just have a lot of empty shells?:confused:

Thanks everyone :) I must say I am on a local forum you guys are way nicer over here!

so right now I am just under 1.5lbs per gallon should I add more LR before taking off the filter?

My crabs seem to be short lived everyone told me they would eat my snails, well the snails are doing fine but they seem to be eating each other? I have been making sure there is some seaweed so no one is hungry but I just have a lot of empty shells?:confused:

Its fairly normal for crabs to fight each other, die for no reason or leave their shells to find a bigger shell. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Got the bug, look what I just got :) Today is my GF b-day but she is buying this for me...

-darko

Complete system just as I ran it for 3years as a very successful softy and LPS reef.

Stand and Canopy are solid wood and one of a kind (the cabinet maker said he would never do a curved piece again
lol.gif
)

46g Bowfront
Overall size
Height 63 ¼”
Width 38”
Front to Back 21 ¾”

Tank: 36” x 15” x 21”

Coralife 150W DE Metal Halide with 2 X 65W Atanic and 2 X Moontlight with built in fan

Aquarium Systems Seaclone TO 100 Skimmer w/ MJ600 pump

CPR Hang on Back Refugium Large 25” x 11 ½” x 4 ½” with pump and light

2 x Ehiem Aquaball 172 gph Powerheads

Top Fin 200w heater

3 x 6-ways

4 timers for lights

Gang plug (System was run off of one outlet with no problems)

Nice full reef setup and a beautiful piece of furniture!

$1800 invested 3 years ago

Asking $1000 OBO Price slashed $300 OBO this weekend only, cash talks!

No delivery!

thats a great deal because those lights alone are upwards of 700 bucks, and if you get a HOB overflow you can drop all that equipment under the stand

Yep the GF is pretty rad, now I can't give her crap next time she wants to get a lizard... I took it up to my parents house, I am going to refinish the stand it looks great but I want it a little darker I think. I am rearrange the inside, she had a post with all the power cords right in the middle so you can't really put anything under it? weird, But yes So this will be the end of my 35g build because now its going to go in my new one :)

Back