Darn Hair Algae

scubasu

Reefing newb
I have a 6 month old 175 tank with sand bottom. Still cannot grow any calcerous algae just green hairy. Water chemistry is all in range, but cant get phosphates below 2.0. because of my well water. Is this causing the problem. I am careful not to overfeed my 4 fish and i do not have a source for RO. Please help!:frustrat:

If I recall, phosphates can cause cacification problems. This is also causing your hair algea problem. Look into getting a reverse osmosis unit and using RO water to fill up your tank. It might take a while but you should start getting better phosphate readings.

You can also get some PhosZorb in addition to the RO water. This will remove phosphates from the water.

how can i set something like that up? does it run 24/7? where does the waste water go and how much is produced?

Hop onto Ebay and look up Pure Water Club. They have nice units that are inexpensive and ship fast. I paid about $100 for mine after shipping.

I installed my unit through the washing machine line. There are instructions to plumb it directly into your house plumbing, but I wanted to avoid that. I bought a splitter (Y-shaped thingie that turns one water line into two? IDK the proper name) and put my washer on one side, and on the other side a piece that Lowe's sold me that fits the 1/4'' hose into the RODi unit to the Y adapter. The y-adapter thing has valves to control which side of the adapter the water flows into so you don't have to have the RODi unit on all the time.

Waste water: I think for every 5 gallons of waste, one gallon of RODi is produced.

While you're on Ebay check out TDS meters (Total dissolved solids). Pick up one of those as well and use it to test your RODi water every time you make a new batch. Usually I let my unit run for abot 5 minutes and the TDS reads around 3-5ppm, compared to fresh tap water which for me is usually around 500.

Good luck!

It may take a bit to get a R/O DI system but you can get u some 5 gallon containers and go to ur local supermarket and they should have a r/o unit there.Usually they charge around .25 cents a gallon to fill bulk containers.Mix you up some salt and let it sit overnight then do a partial water change.You can bring ur phosphates down but ya still gotta do something about the green hair algae.I solved mine with water changes,in- tank scrubbing of my rocks and glass,filter changes,and marine S.A.T. It took about 3 times to get it cleared out.Mine got in my tank when I added some live rock I got from another aquarist........Dutch :bounce:

Being on a well, he/she is not likely to want to waste 5g down the septic tank for every 1g of RO water produced.

But there are ways to limit and save the waste water. You can purchase a 2nd RO membrane and run your waste water through that. It's supposed to reduce waste water output by more than 1/2. Another thing you can do is save the waste water and use it for washing clothes or flushing toilets. I've read of people in rural areas installing large storage tanks under their house or outside someplace. The waste water goes into the storage tank and is then piped back into the house for use.

It's still clean water. Probably cleaner than it came out of the well because the solids and chemicals have been filtered out by your RO units carbon and sediment filters. So it's not really "waste" water. It's just not pure enough to pass through the RO membrane.

Go here to look at water filters:
http://filterdirect.com/index.php?cPath=21

I have the RD-102 6-stage with dual DI. I am using a booster pump becaue my house pressure is under 30psi. The booster pump takes it up to about 60psi - thats where most RO filters are designed to operate efficiently. I love it. Got about $200 in it. I wouldn't be in this hobby without one. Best bang for your buck in this crazy hobby.

Back