dead fish

clownfish cj

Reefing newb
My LFS owner told me that about 50% of fish coming from his suppliers end up dying. That doesn't sound quite right. Do you know what the average is?

Depends on his suppliers. My lfs went through one supplier, then at some point, switched to one that had better prices....but those fish were crap and had a low survival rate....so he switched back to his original supplier, and had a better survival rate. Just like us -- you buy a fish from one lfs, and they aren't as hardy as ones from another store.

That sounds like an abysmal survival rate. My LFS only loses 2-6 fish per order (they usually receive about 40-100 fish per order). I bet it's because your LFS is using a cheap wholesaler to try and save money.

+1 Brian. I know from talking with the people at Petco, they lose about 50% of their orders. It's from saving money by going with the lowest quality wholesaler out there.

well that makes me feel good! My LFS will only lose certain types of fish, for example, none are dead on arrival, but some of the tangs he gets are very sick, they eat but cant put on weight, so he wont sell them unless he can make them healthy.

unfortuante, some should just never be taken out of the ocean.

thanks for all the replies! Where is a good place for me to get my fish? I have few LFS's that deal with saltwater fish so I am going to have to order online I think.

ORA are probably the best fish and corals because they are not taken out of the wild and are generally better for our tanks, they adapt better. So if thats the truth, sounds like a good LFS

Back