dead peppermint shrimp?

raggedreef

Reefing newb
I switched my tank over last night to a new setup, transferred all equipment, sand, everything. I wanted to let the fish in the old tank for a couple of days but the water had so much junk floating in it I was worried about leaving them in and the new tank looked really good. When I got up this morning my peppermint shrimp was dead and it worries me that I will start losing other things in the tank. Would this just be from the stress of the move, or might I have a bigger problem in the tank. The fish are all doing really good and look healthy. They are swimming really good, and acclimating themselves to their new home well. Let me know what you think.

put him in a zip lock bag with old tank water, put him in the new tank in the bag, slowly added some new tank water in every few minutes, waited about 45 minutes, made sure the temps were the same, and then scooped him out and put him in.

You moved sand from one tank to another? DId you wash it? If the sand was established in the old tank and then you moved it directly into the new tank, you will have stirred up detritus and are likely to have a nitrate spike and possibly induce a cycle. monitor your levels. since you have two tanks, you may consider using the old tank as a QT while the new tank cycles, if it cycles.

I washed it, really well. I didn't want to leave them in the old tank because as I siphoned the sand out it made the water super cloudy and full of junk. I am hoping that I don't get much of a cycle.

If you washed the sand then you should be in good shape. As stated, shrimp are very sensitive to parameter changes. Fish are more resilient. The fact that a shrimp died does not necessarily meant that trouble is on the horizon. Keep in mind that when shrimp become stressed they molt. Are you sure it was a dead shrimp and not just a molt?

suggestions for a replacement, he did a good job of keeping the sand clean in the tank. Anything that does a better job than him?

it definitely was not a molt. it was a dead shrimp. I liked him cause he picked up all the food that my fish let fall to the bottom.

okay thanks for the info, I will wait a little while and make sure everything is going good in the new tank before going to get one.

Back