Dead rock with remnants of bristle worms Should I still use it?

atony4688

Reefing newb
Hello, I am just getting into the hobby and have 4-5 gallon buckets that when the previous owner disassembled his tank he put his live rock into. here is a pick of what i found in one bucket. surprisingly the water they were in was crystal clear and there was no smell at all. my intent was to use these rocks as dead rock and seed them with new live. i was told to soak them in freshwater, scrub them with a brush and let them dry out in the sun before i used them. my concern is that the previous owner had bristle worms. judging from the rock, alot of bristle worms. they really had like raw ramen noodles, and they break off if you scrub or scrape them but i know i will never get them out of the center of the rocks. if i use these will they eventually come back or are they dead for good from being in these buckets for 5 years. please let me know your thoughts. i would like to use them if i will not put my tank at risk.

1013124_570695350806_1038642232_n.jpg

They are dead and will not re-populate from that rock. You will not have any hitchhikers from that rock. If you plan on seeding with any live rock there is always a potential of picking up hitchhikers ( mostly good ones but sometimes bad ones). Bristle worms are beneficial in my opinion but as I said you will not have any from that old rock.

Whatever doesn't come off scrubbing with a bristled brush I wouldn't worry about, personally. If you want to try scraping that is fine too. Sure I will take a look at your other post.

Back