Death is the family!!!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Yesterday I walked over to my tank and like usually the fish all came to the glass except my Powder Blue.

I knew it right away he was dead.

I have a Yellow Tang who the Power had always seemed to stay away from. During seaweed feeding I used to have to make 2 different ones so it could eat in peace.

I never saw them fight but I always saw it just keep its distance. Lately it seemed worse but again never any violence.

As everyone knows the Powder Blues get Ich when you say the word stress. He had shown signs but with time and garlic it would go away.

This last time it looked 10x worse than ever before but in the morning he would always seem cleared. As the days went on he was only half better in the morning and was starting to only stay in one little spot.

Not alone but he never strayed from this are. Never scratched and still would eat like normal. I had just told my brother the day before he would be fine. He didn't really swim too much and his breathing looked normal.

Well I found him thankfully behind the rocks but getting him out was a job. I had to take out a rock and eventually I had to stab him. There was my large sea cucumber already on him. He had no signs of Ich on his body when he was dead.

He had no marks at all on him. I am just shocked that he would die so quickly. While his body was covered it seemed he was just fine and like I said fine in the morning.

I was waiting on food soaking stuff with vitamins as I recently ran out.

I can't lie I was very pissed off/upset he died and the tank doesn't look the same without him. I decided that I will not be buying another Powder Blue.

I am also convinced if not for the Yellow Tang he would still be alive. The Yellow Tang while not openly a douce was not nice to him. I was actually surprised he wasn't tougher in response to the Yellow Tang or actually not the aggressor.

If I ever get another it will be after the Yellow Tang is gone. That won't be anytime soon though I hope unless I see him even think about bothering my Lieutenant Tang. That is my boy and I will not allow anything from the Yellow Tang now that I am on to him.

The Lieutenant Tang is the nicest fish I have after my Clowns. He always comes by my hand now when I am doing something and is always courteous to other fish even though he is large in size.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear...and such a beautiful fish, too :( Looks like you did all you could. I have similar problems w/ my Kole Tang -- the tang gets alone great with ALL my fish except my 2 fish (the ones that happen to not have swim bladders -- the lawnmower blenny and the diamond watchman -- he loathes them). Every fish is just different!

Sorry to hear about your Powder Blue Phastroh. For my birthday I decided to try an Achilles Tang, which is in the same family as the Powder Blue. It was a rough few days right after I added him, my Kole Tang is a bastard and let the Achilles know. Mine also came down with ich - its mostly gone now but he still won't eat anything but nori sheets

Well I have heard and read many bad things about Yellow Tangs and how they can be bullies. I was not going to get it but my wife wanted it.

I really believe without it my Blue would still be just fine. I just liked how he would be a camera hog. Just like the Lieutenant he would somehow make it into most of the photos.

Most tangs do not take kindly to others being added to a tank. I've had sparring matches with each of the tangs that I have added to the tank. I started with a Sailfin that I got for such a good price after my tank had cycled that I couldn't pass it up. A few months after that, I added a Yellow Eyed Kole and a Naso Tang. The Sailfin went nuts and there was a good bit of tail slapping for a few days while everyone got settled in. When the Hippo was added, I thought I was going to have to pull him out, the Kole and the Sailfin pretty much tail slapped him into a corner for the first 12 hours he was in the tank, then everything was fine. The Achilles was greeted with hostility by the Kole and the Sailfin at first, and then the Naso once the lights went out (they both wanted the same sleeping hole)

Everyone is settled in at the moment, and there really isn't any overt aggression, other than my Kole chasing my clowns once in a while. He's definitely the boss fish of the tank.

When you already have an established tang, adding another one could be problematic, you never know until you get the fish together, its not just yellows. Add on to that the fact that the Acanthurus tangs (Power Blues, Powder Browns, and Achillces) arent good shippers and are quite fragile until they get established, and you can see why there might be issues.

If you did it the other way around, and added the acanthurus tang first, you'd probably have a dead yellow on your hands, they get downright nasty once established in a tank. That's why I added my Achilles last.

If you do decide to try another tang, borrow a mirror from your wife and hang it on the side of the tank, that will keep the yellow occupied while the new fish gets settled in

I actually added them all together.

Powder Blue, Yellow, Lieutenant, Hippo and Naso.

Only the Hippo moved over from my other tank, the rest were from Live Aquaria.

The Yellow is just a jerk. I see him once in a while try to be tough but no other fish cares but the Blue was so nice and it was like he had this face that said leave me alone.

The Yellow will even invade the well known spot my Clowns keep. They don't get scared though. No-one does but he just swims wherever he wants.

Last edited:
So sorry Phastroh, that is a bummer for sure :(
It's especially hard since he was the underdog and makes ya feel worse, poor little guy.

Unfortunately for the fish, you were warned by plenty of people that it was too many tangs for a 220 and you'd have issues.

Well actually I was told it was ok by more people and I do not think it was too many I think the Yellow tang is just not very nice.

The tank is wide open with plenty of space and not a wall of rock.

There are of course some who will say no but I talked with more people who said it is fine. Don't take this the wrong way but I don't think it was too small of a space.

Back