Detritus Problem

Wes888

Reef enthusiast
2 days into the new tank and I already see some detritus swirling around on the sand bed. The snails are on the rocks and on the glass while the hermit crabs are just on the rock. Seems like nobody is clearing up the sand bed. What kind of CUC would take care of the detritus on the sand? I've purchased 1 Serpent Sea Star and 1 Brittle Sea Star and should arrive tomorrow. Hope they'll help.

either on of those would be fine i have 10 of the tongan ones. i would do at least 20 to start with but you could prob put a lot in a 125. maybe 40 or more.as long as they get the food they need.

Actually, I usually won't have any left over food. I have lots of current and everything stays in the water column for a long time. If and when there are anything touch the sand, the shrimps and snails all race to get to it in no time. It is the detritus, or more precisely fish poop, that I'm worry about.

what about fighting conchs? anyone have one or tried one. Everytime I see them at the LFS, these guys are cruising through the sand.

I have a pink and black cucumber and nassarius snails, they do awesome in my 180.

In the 850 a medusa worm and nassarius snails, does great work in there, we are adding some tiger tail cucumbers as well.

FYI sand sifting starfish will not eat detritus, they eat your pods.

well, my sand sifter stirrs up the top layer, and helps keep it looking better, so it's doing something for me...

as for the nass snails, i have yet to see one in an lfs, i've taken pictures that i printed off the net, and both stores told me that the picture that i have is not a nass snail, but something else and then what they try and sell me is astrea snails that they call nassarius so, theres some confusion now, for me at least, what i have, vs what i want, but i know that what i have is definately not stirring up the sand...

Back