Devil Damn-sel

x19

Reefing newb
As I mentioned in my other thread I picked up a yellow-tail and a blue damsel the other day, and the blue was so aggressive it had relegated the yellow tail to one rockless corner of the tank for about 30 hours. After learning here on the forum how notoriously aggressive the blue damsels are I did some additional research and decided that my only choice was to remove the blue from the tank else I would likely have problems with all other future planned additions.

Catching the Blue "Devil" Damsel, which I named Damien, was ridiculous. I tried a net, then a trap, and eventually ended up removing all of the live rock from my tank in order to catch him. I set him up in a 10 gallon tank that I happened to have lying around. Putting the live rock back in the tank with a sand substrate was a challange, and although I tried my hardest I couldn't be sure that I didn't crush and snails or crabs in the process.

Of course the skimmer also reverted to spewing millions of micro-bubbles out when I started it up, but I wanted to be sure it was running again as quickly as possible to avoid any mini-cycle the event would cause.

Sure enough, last night I tested for ammonia and found .25 ppm. By this morning that had risen to .5 ppm, with noticeable nitrites and nitrates as well. I had an appt this afternoon and had to leave the tank for about 6 hours. Testing the water upon return and of course I was now at 1 ppm ammonia with noticeable nitrite. At this point panic set in that the rise in Nitrates would kill all my snails/crabs, adding a lot more ammonia, and essentially sending me back to day 1.

Meanwhile, Damien was found dead at the bottom of the 10 gallon tank. I hadn't had a chance to get any live rock for that tank, it was just salt water, a heater and a powerhead so any number of things could have caused him I guess.

At this point, I ran to the lfs and bought some bio-spira which I hoped would help restore/reinforce the bacteria that had died in my tank. 2 hours later I tested the water and I'm down to .25 ammonia, and .25 nitrites. I'll check the levels again in the morning before heading to work so hopefully this crisis has been avoided. The Bio-Spira directions said to turn off my skimmer for 48 hours so I've got no micro-bubbles at the moment but the water actually looks noticeably clearer after having added the bio-spira.

I can't really blame the lfs for not warning me, I had meant to ask for two yellow-tail damsels but said blue by mistake. When he put the first blue in my bag I was struck by the brilliant color and decided to keep him along with one yellow. Still, it would have been nice if he would have said something..

Live and learn I guess.

I believe a Damsel is as Aggressive as a Trigger, if not MORE!

I got 2 Blues and 3 Convicts in my 20 FOWLR and they chase each other constantly, cool to watch though.

Sorry to hear you learned the hard way.

Last edited:
Nitrite and ammonia are both back up to 1 ppm this morning. So far the inverts look ok, but I'm worried. I have to leave for a 14 hour work day soon and won't be able to monitor it.

Guess I got lucky with my blue damsel. It swims and feeds alongside my hepatus tang. They've been together for a few months now and no problems. The damsel does harass the yellow watchman gobie occassionally but nothing serious. Just some tail swishing near the gobies cave.

I had my bout with a blue damsel who I named Bluto (like the bully in popeye) and he was a PITA to EVERYTHING in my tank.... he died....

Now my sister has a blue and I have a blue and they are both wonderful peaceful blue "devil" damsels :p lol... gosh, I love my damsel fish... i guess i just pick out good ones because all mine are nice to each other

Ammonia has dropped to .25 but Nitrite is still at 1ppm. I turned the skimmer back on early because there was a lot of particulate in the water. Hopefully we're approaching the end of this thing.

It sounds like it... Hang in there. As your tank matures, these mini-cycles will be less likely to occur when you disturb things.

It sounds like it... Hang in there. As your tank matures, these mini-cycles will be less likely to occur when you disturb things.

Thats good to hear, I've been reading posts about people taking out rocks to deal with disease, etc. and have been afraid that every time I did that it would cause a cycle.

Back