Diamond Goby Gone

dankolle

Reefing newb
I just came in today and noticed diatoms on my sand bed...I think my Goby is dead but I cannot locate him anywhere! Has anyone experienced this before? He likes to dig under my rocks but I have checked all usual places and for rock shifting and nothing.

My water is clear:

Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0 - 0.25ppm

Mine crushed himself. The rock he usually hid under was shifted ever so slightly. I don't think I would've noticed it if I wasn't looking really REALLY hard.

That being said... he used to change where his cave was every few months. Maybe he just moved somewhere in the back where you can't see him?

How long have you had him? Your ammonia should be at 0 all the times...it probably did die and caused that ammonia spike. What other fish do you have in there? Could someone have been bullying him? Was he eating the foods you put in there? Was he looking healthy last time you saw him?

I have looked everywhere and I can't seem to find him. I only have a 55g at my office so it's not that much space. He was always shooting all over the place! I am worried because my fire shrimp is MIA as well but no other fish, coral or invert is acting strangely...

Do you hear any clicking? Could be a mantis, but a mantis would've eaten him before ammonia set it, I would imagine.

What are your other fish? Could someone have been bullying him? My Diamond goby is no pushover. He will assert himself to any fish that go near his chomping grounds.

I have a manderin, two clowns and a pink anthias...no fish seemed to bother him at all. He would move between rocks and re-dig out his home based on flow filling them back in.

He would always come and grab chunks of squid out of my sun coral and / or eat floating chunks that came off due to the flow. He always has mysis and small pellet food available as well as the sand bed for him to graze.

My ammonia was at 0 last week when I checked.

I have pretty tight glass lids...about 2" open on the back is all he has to escape....I can't find it anywhere on the floor or a body in the tank...It sucks I just wish I could find a body so I knew he was for sure dead...still having trouble finding my fire shrimp too might break out the big guns (shrimp)

Back