Dictyota sp. of brown branching algae

DAvis

Reefer Madness
What to do at 3:40 in the AM when you can't sleep? Why, go to the LR forum, of course! I have a rather attractive growth of (I'm pretty positive is...) a species of Dictyota, a reddish-brown, branching macro algae in my 28g reef tank. I have two clumps. When I'm doing water changes, I frequently siphon off a chunk, but it comes back.

Now, I don't mind it, and it seems to stay where it's 'rooted', but should I worry about it taking over? It's been there for months and is nicely shaped, but rather small. I might be able to post a pick later. I'm not too worried, but thought I'd ask for your experience(s).

Thanks,
David

I have several clumps of this stuff in my tank, it's never really taken over, and honestly if it starts to become to large, grab it and pull it out. It'll leave a bit of itself on the rock it's attached to and grow back over time. My tank is full of macro algae by choice and I've never had a problem with any of it taking over, you can just pull out what you don't want. It's fantastic for pod growth and if you like the look of it, it's also fantastic for water quality as it will suck up any excess nutrients. The water quality in my 55g is pristine because of all the macro algae I have, the second any free nutrients show up all of it is sucking it in to grow.

Thanks V! That's what I've been finding. I like the look, I have less and less bad algae now. Tank is fairly young, less than 1 year. I have some tufts of red carpet algae, that really needs to be scrubbed off, and some lingering dinoflagellates... The tank is usually crystal clear.

I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

Oh yea, there is a one tiny cluster of green bubble algae that I must have got off a Zoo rock... Will deal with that soon.... and carefully!
Thanks,
D

Back