Different Red Algae's

italipinos8

Reefing newb
Tank is doing great but i have assorted algaes growing. The first two i fear the worst that they are going to be a pain to remove. They seem like to different algaes.

I was thinking about just baking this rock because it has other pests on it. Anyone know what that little star is??
IMG_0082.jpg
This is growing on the rock my leather is attached to. I believe this is red turf algae:frustrat:
IMG_0086.jpg

And if anyone could tell me what this is?? It doubles in size in a couple of days. It is really easy to remove. It is all connected through roots.
IMG_0084.jpg

Looks like a pest nem. And the red stuff is cyano, and boiling isnt going to get rid of it. All tanks go through a cycle of it, just work on water changes, cut back feeding a bit, and maybe do a blackout with removal and water changes.

is it okay to scrub it off the rocks in the tank. My new tank is breaking out with the red alg and when I set it up I had scrubbed all the rocks off in a bucket of salt water. But I was wondering if it would be safe to do it in the tank instead of taking the rocks down again.

You will just be putting all the algae back in the tank. You could try to catch the algae you scrub off and then do a big water change; that would help. But it's better not to do the scrubbing in the tank because you are not actually removing any of the algae or nutrients from the system if you do that.

Back