Dilema

Nemo2010

Reefing newb
Ok guys here is my dileman.... I have been having a green hair algea outbreak. I have tried evertying from full black out for 10 days to API algea chemicals, to no avail its still here.. So i started snooping. I tested my RO/DI water straight from my reserve tank in the basement and its giving me an Nitrate reading of 10ppm. This is weird any suggestions. The RO/DI system is only 4 months old. I ran it for 12 hours prior to use and with my TDS meter it reads 00ppm... You guys think this is why i am having algea problems? and what should i do about this Nitrate reading? I think there is something in the basement that is getting in the RO water to cause this because all other readings are 0. I used 2 different test kits with the same result.

TDS is total dissolved solids not Nitrates. Do a nitrate test on your RO/DI unit and see if it isn't the source. If it is fine try draining out your RO/DI reserve tanks and refilling. There could have been something in them from the start that needed to be flushed out with pure water. 10ppm nitrates though sounds like tapwater level though. I would suspect a problem with the filter.

What are the Nitrate levels in your tank? 10ppm wouldn't be terrible for a tank but for your new water you might as well be using tapwater.

Back