Diping with Lugols

the bottle should say. i want to say 20 drops per gallon but not shure

20 drops will increase the PPM by 18. But that doesnt tell me if 18 PPM is what I am looking for. It also seems the directions are oriented for dosing the entire tank instead of using it as a dip.

Instructions and Guidelines Determine the iodine concentration in the aquarium using an accurate test kit before supplementing. Each ml of Brightwell Aquatics Lugol's will increase the concentration of iodine ("") in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 18 ppm, or approximately 0.9 ppm per drop. Add this product at the maximum dosage of 1 drop (1/20th ml) per 35 US-gallons daily to maintain a concentration of 0.05 ppm. Always try to maintain the within a range of +/-0.02 ppm. Determine the required daily dosing rate (recommended to weekly dosing) by measuring the aquarium's at the same time each day over a one to two week period. Estimate the volume of water in the entire aquarium system; divide the daily decrease in by 0.9; multiply this number by the volume of water in the system to get the daily dosage required (drops) to maintain a stable . To create a dip for corals and their allies, add 1.50 ml (30 drops) of Lugol's per gallon of purified water in a plastic or glass container, and then immerse coral completely for 10 - 12 minutes.

Crazy, my bottle doesn't mention anything regarding dosage for dipping. I hope this bottle isn't like old or something. thanks for the help guys.

If your just dipping zoanthids.The directions are to 40 drops per gallon of water thats taken from the display.
I usually put 1/2 gallon of water from the display into a bowel,add 20 drops and stir it good.Then let the coral soak for 10 to 20 minutes.Once thats done,discard the dipping mixture.

James is dead on.
But you do have to be careful as some corals,mainly LPS (I think)cant handle the iodine.So read up on em to make sure first.

If your just dipping zoanthids.The directions are to 40 drops per gallon of water thats taken from the display.
I usually put 1/2 gallon of water from the display into a bowel,add 20 drops and stir it good.Then let the coral soak for 10 to 20 minutes.Once thats done,discard the dipping mixture.

I suppose that's after the normal dripping acclimation? Does it need to be rinsed with some water from the DT after the soak?

Yep.Thats after the acclimation.I actually got a bowel thats marked at exactly a half gallon.When its at the half gallon mark,the salinity is usually dead on,so I'll take the frag out just long enough to add the Lugols and stir,then I'll set the frag back in for the soak.

Back