dipping corals

buddy08

SPS Addict
question in regards to my 75g/current corals, and new corals... I have never dipped my corals (shame on me) and i know its a good thing to do... my dilema, again, the corals in my tank have never been dipped. i have found some unwanted hitchikers in the tank and im sure they're from some of the bigger coral colonies i bought at my LFS... I just ordered new corals and they have arrived today (yay!) and I thought about buying coral dip before adding them to my tank....the thought crossed my mind though that none of my other corals have been dipped so wouldn't it be pointless to dip these new frags? i figured i could pull the other corals in my tank out and dip them as well but some are already stuck/grown to rocks and are permenant so any unwanted hitchiker in my tank would attach back to my new corals. what should i do? I am moving in about 7mo's and figured i could dip EVERYTHING (including rocks) when i move but was unsure of the damage that could cause when i set everything back up.

I would dip them, like Sarah said, they could have something new on them.

When you move, it would be helpful to dip the corals you do have, but the issue then becomes the pests could still be in the rocks and sand. Its easy to get new sand, but im not quite sure what you can do about the rocks. You can dip them as well, but then you run the risk of getting rid of the good stuff.

well the only pest i can see so far, when i first set up the tank i found little (maybe 1mm in length) flatforms.. you recommended flatworm exit, and i bought it but by the time i got it, i had no visual signs of flatworms so i never dosed. i didnt want to stress out the new additions as i was still in the process of stocking... Now i have seen a few big flatworms (roughly the size of a childs thumb) so within a week will does flatworm exit once these new corals get used to the tank. I have also seen a few unwanted starfish... not sure if theyre the reef safe ones or the bad ones so i pick them out when i see them. I did dip the corals, couldnt get a responses fast enough so i bought some coral dip just incase there were any bad guys. I will post the new corals on my build thread here in a few. going to give them time to puff up which some have already started doing. As for colors, im in aweee, i wish i had a camera like danas, my digital camera and my iphone arent cutting it.

Back