Dirty white sand...

Jojo1628

Reefing newb
I had my tank setup with some Fiji white sand for like 5 weeks now, and just recently the sand is develping some "dirts" on top of them...what are these and should I be concerned and clean them?

sand2.jpg

sand.jpg

Those are diatoms. It's a type of algae, and totally normal for new and/or cycling tanks. If your tank is 5 weeks old, it seems like it's right on time.

There isn't much you can do about diatoms. Nothing seems to really eat it, so you'll just have to wait it out. As your tank matures, you will get diatom outbreaks less often. No worries!

Those are diatoms. It's a type of algae, and totally normal for new and/or cycling tanks. If your tank is 5 weeks old, it seems like it's right on time.

There isn't much you can do about diatoms. Nothing seems to really eat it, so you'll just have to wait it out. As your tank matures, you will get diatom outbreaks less often. No worries!

Ditto!

+1 Reeffreak

Thanks for the quick ID Biff!! I only have snails roaming around now...still waiting a bit before I add fish and just want to make sure all goes well...I'll be doing 50% water change shortly..hopefully these algae goes away

are you still cycling because if you are your snails will be dieing soon, if not you have some very clean sand for right after a cycle

are you still cycling because if you are your snails will be dieing soon,

Hahaha, Dustin the optimist!

I think what he's not-so-delicately saying is that if your ammonia and nitrites are anything but 0, your tank is not done cycling.

That said, people get diatoms all the time after a cycle, it's not uncommon at all.

1 Question, where did u get ur rocks and sand? I got a LARGE scoop of sand in my 10 when i started. Waited 2 months for my tank to start cycling, but it never did?! wel, i transferred everthing over to my 45 and have corals and everything, so im kinda mad I waited forever for a cycle to start

I'm just confused now...initially I had amonia and nitrite spikes for the first 2-3 weeks, then everything went down to zero after...isn't that my cycle already? my readings are still zero now...I'm not sure how I may missed a cycle...I thought the LR and LS only help speed up the cycle...

1 Question, where did u get ur rocks and sand? I got a LARGE scoop of sand in my 10 when i started. Waited 2 months for my tank to start cycling, but it never did?! wel, i transferred everthing over to my 45 and have corals and everything, so im kinda mad I waited forever for a cycle to start

I was responding to this. Was wondering if he ghost feed the tank? Sorry about the confusion.

I'm just confused now...initially I had amonia and nitrite spikes for the first 2-3 weeks, then everything went down to zero after...isn't that my cycle already? my readings are still zero now...I'm not sure how I may missed a cycle...I thought the LR and LS only help speed up the cycle...

Yes you had your cycle. Have you done your first water change?

Yes you had your cycle. Have you done your first water change?

I've done like 10% water changes every week...but I need to do like a 50% water change soon to be on the safe side...it's fishless now just some snails roaming around cleaning the tank...

Back