DisClaster Night!

613ReefGuy

Reefing newb
So my nano cube pump was kicking out too much air, it happens every now and then and this is normally my cue to do a top up. So I did my top up....no big deal. Turned out to be a huge deal! I had turned around and when I looked back and the tank there was water running down between the glass and the frame. I didnt think it was a big deal, maybe just a bit too much water. Wrong.

The water was flowing, and made no sense. Directly in the center of the tank the silicon was in terrible shape, and water was escaping. It was 7pm, and stores close early around here, so I asked the girlfriend to drain some water while I ran out the door for silicon and painters tape.

I was not impressed when I came home and found out that there was huge gaps on the rounded front of the tank. I could fit my pinky finger in there. I trimmed back as much of the old silicon as possible and dried off the area. This was black silicon, but unfortunately I bought clear, and you can see some of the old black silicon still. I have done as much as I could for now. I am going to let what I have done to the outside of the tank dry until later on and then hit it with another excessive amount. I have filled in the rounded corners from the front, but plan to hit them a bit better.

Holy stressful night, not what I was expecting tonight. My girlfriend just had to take an hour drive to LFS for more salt since I might as well do a water change while i have some drained...brutal.

So quick question, with just the power heads going for the next 24 hours will everything be okay? Zoas that are very young, and a small candy cane coral, Clown, Coral beauty, royal gramma, and a blenny, peppermint shrimp and some crabs and snails. Think everything will be okay until tomorrow night?

You can be fine without lights and filtration for several days. Like Brian said, water movement and temps are what you need to maintain. It sounds like you had a rough night!! I hope everything pulls through.

Back