DIY Acrylic Sump + Tank Stand + Tank Build

Patzig

welp, that didn't work..
Thought I would share by tank build. The idea was to build a 10g sump that matched the dimensions of my tank so it would look clean and matched. Wrote up some dimensions and got the acrylic cut to size.

1.jpg

binswanger cut the acrylic...they did pretty good.

2.jpg

Notice there are 1 inch slots under 2 of the baffles, so the water travels up and down several times in the sump.

3.jpg

I ended up making one big chamber for the skimmer, then the other 3 were equally smaller.

4.jpg

Used this bond to bond the acrylic together. Once it dried (30 seconds) there was no undoing it. crazy hard bond. Then used silicon to seal it.

5.jpg

It holds water?!?!? It was kind of exciting...

6.jpg

Built the stand out of 2x4's and cheapo plywood. Everything fit perfectly!

7.jpg

Time to cycle

8.jpg

Right side. Pump is attached at bottom of that 1/2" pvc pipe for water intake. Maxijet 1200.

9.jpg

Water comes from skimmer, overflows into second half of sump.

10.jpg

Left side. This was unexpected. After water starts pumping into sump, the out take pvc actually self creates a siphon and lowers the level on the left half. I thought it might be a problem, but it's been through power failures and still no mess yet.

13.jpg

3 months later still holding water no leaks!!! It now holds a couple lbs of live rock, chaeto, dragons breath macro algae, thermometer, heater, and skimmer. (need to clean it)

14.jpg

Whole view

15.jpg

Almost time for more fish!

Thanks for the encouragement from everybody. I'm only at a year with this hobby and I feel like I'm just getting started. Ya the bonding was an experience. Couldn't really undo the "oh crap" parts of it though, that sucked. Oh ya I have Biff's chaeto in it too!! Nice and fluffy green, Thanks Biff!

Back