DIY ATOs..

chipmunkofdoom2

Reefing newb
Hey all. For my new planned tank stand/sump, I'm obviously going to want to implement some sort of top off system, but I most certainly don't want to pay $80-$100 for commercial solutions, and I don't trust myself working with wires around saltwater.

This idea looks exceedingly simple, but dangerous..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UmT2rV0iYE

I'd be scared that something would melt with all that power going through those tiny wires on the float switch.

One idea I saw on one page and could possibly implement is this. No redundancy needed, no electricity, no pumps:

ato1zt3.jpg

You can probably see how it works.. I'll just start by saying, yes, there definitely is room for both containers under my new stand.

I'm sure you guys have all seen the Kent float valves. This uses a basic siphon and that float valve to keep the water level steady.. the only problem is it'll be very hard to implement in my particular case. Snail protection would be non-existent and I don't want to drill my sump.

What I was thinking about doing is using the siphon and container, but not having any control valve.. just airline tubing with a regulator on the end to control the flow. I'll need to monitor the water level and periodically make adjustments to the flow until I get it about right, but that seems like it should work. If it's a steady, slow drip, I'll be able to watch over a period of time to see if I'm letting too much water in or not enough. That system I could implement for $0, since I have airline and a few control valves.

Any comments? Concerns? Easy to do, safe DIY ATO systems? I can find plans for ATO systems, but electricity is not my specialty.. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Biff built her ATO system using a manual float valve.Shoot her a PM,I'm sure she's still got pics of it some where.Might cost you 20 bucks or so to build it,but it's be a lot less head aches than messing with a drip line.

Yote is right, I made my gravity ATO from a plastic toilet float. All the parts came from Ace, and the project cost less than $15 altogether.

Oh okay. That's cool. I searched your build thread and saw how you set it up.

Is the bracket that's hooked onto the side of the tank just heated and bent acrylic? Also, can you adjust the float to work at different positions or does the bracket holding it have to be at EXACTLY the water level you want to keep?

Exactly. You can put a sheet of acrylic in the oven, and when it gets hot, take it out and mold it to whichever shape you want. I don't think I understand your question about the bracket and level?

Haha, sorry, it's kind of hard to describe. Let's say I have the bracket mounted an inch below the aquarium rim, but the water level is 3 inches below the rim. That 3 inch mark is below the 1 inch mark where it's mounted, so would the valve think "Hey, I'm sagging! Let's open up!"? Or, can you adjust it to make the 3" mark is the closed position and anywhere below THAT mark is when it needs to open up.

Does that make better sense? Sorry, I'm having trouble wording this for some reason, haha.

Yeah, it would fill up until the float valve closed itself. You can bend the acrylic to hang lower down, so that the float valve sits lower though. I keep my sump level pretty high (as high as I can without flooding during a power outage).

Okay, that works for me. Thanks a lot for the idea and help. I'll probably do that, but I'll make a very long acrylic bracket so it'll hang pretty low. I'd like an electronic system, but the more layers of complexity that exist in the system, the more things can go wrong..

Plus, they're too damn expensive, haha.

Cost was the main reason I went with a simple gravity fed one. I just didn't have the money at the time for one of the nicer systems (okay, granted, they are usually under $100 so in this hobby, that's nothing).

FYI, the toilet float I got was all plastic except for one metal screw. I replaced it with a plastic screw, so be sure you check it over before putting anything metal in your tank.

Yeah, I'll be sure to make sure I'm not putting any metal in my tank, haha. You could argue that $100 isn't a lot of money in this hobby, and sadly you'd be right, but as Yote once said, the more money you save on setup, the more you have to spend on livestock. And if you can do something yourself quickly and easily that's just as effective for almost nothing, why not? :mrgreen:

Thanks for the link. Yeah, this idea looks fool proof and simple enough, but I'd be pretty scared playing around with wires like that. If I can't get the float valve to work, I'll give that a shot. I'm hoping I don't have to though, haha.

Back