DIY fish tank ????

imdaring

love my reef
Has any one ever done a DIY fish tank?? I had found a 125 gal tank on craigs list for FREE!! :frustrat: but she must have gotten rid of it already... so I was thinking about building one myself has any one ever done it and how hard is it??

I had thought about doing an all glass one after watching some how-to videos. However, I just couldn't risk the expense if it failed or the livestock if it only worked out for a few months. The plywood idea is pretty safe though. There seems to be a lot less that can go wrong with them.

To add to what Dustin wrote, the plywood is coated (several coats) with a fiberglass epoxy to make it water proof. You can find some examples on line. The only part that is glass is the front of the tank.

You can order the frames form glasscages.com You can get the glass there too. IMHO By the time you DIY a tank you could have gotten a new one for the same price or a used one cheaper.

Glasscages will also custom build a tank to.

I'v built a tank myself, although it was only 6 gallons.
Unless you want an odd size or shape it is defanitly not worth building the tank yourself. Although it is very self gradifying not worth the hassel for a common size.

plus if you were still thinking of a 125g just rember that every drop that goes in WILL come out if failure should occure.

(ps- do I get the worst speller award?)

Back