DIY LED Help

jag200k

Reefing newb
Hi all,

In regards with the LED setup, I am really interested in doing one for my reef. But the issue is i am a

complete noob in this. I really would appreciate some advise from you experts.

Please find below the details of my tank.

Length: 24 inches
Breadth: 15.5 inches
Height: 23 inches

It is a 30 gallon tank.

I am looking forward to keep sps in my tank. I do have a zoa frag which is doing well as i have kept it

near the light.

Currently i am using T5 for my setup 4 x 8 watts (2 blue and 2 white) .

A few question which came in my mind.

1. How many LED do i require for my setup.

2. What driver i need to use for them

3. Do i need a dimmer.

4. How many degree optics i need to use.

5. What is the thickness of heatsink i need to use.

The above are just a few things that cam in my mind.

Would really appreciate if someone helps me with the data. Also i live in UAE where many of the

equipments are not available so will need to use something’s easily available or alternatives

Thanks in advance

I don't have LED's (yet) but I've done alot of research. I'll try to answer some questions.

1. depends on if you get 1 watt vs. 3 watt leds. The cree xr-e and xp-g 3 watts are what seem to be most popular. if you go with cree 3 watts i would say 24 - 32 led's. Your tank is deep and you want sps corals so probably at least 32.

2. meanwell drivers also seem to be popular. they come in many different currents and can be dimmable.

3. from what I've heard I would say yes. Not only will you want to be able to change the levels of whites and blues to get the color you want, but supposedly being able to adjust the power of your white led's is key to being successful with led's. Most people run their white led's at only 30-50%.

4. that really depends on how close you want to keep your light fixture to your water. (lower degree optics if you want to keep your lights further away)

5. not sure on how thick you need. I would think a bigger heatsink with more surface area would be more important than the thickness

I don't know if they ship to your area, but I've heard good things about rapidled. they have a bunch of different DIY kits. I also know that this DIY project requires some electrical knowledge and ability. It is very easy to blow your LED's if you don't know what you're doing. (I blew my test LED's pretty quickly)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'd contact RapidLED.com
They did a presentation at my reef club. We built 6 LED strips, they are surprisingly easy to do, and that company sells everything you would need in a kit, or individually.

Those DIY kits look nice but does anyone know more specific information about the specifications of each of them. I am not seeing how big any of them are or anything.

Back