DIY overflow fix

VAreef

Reefing newb
Living in a second floor apartment I was very concerned with overflow of my tank or sump. So basically I came up with this solution.

I took a 24v coil contactor and wired in 120v AC from the outlet to its input. I wired in a 120v AC to 24v AV transformer on its outlet. The transformer then powered a 24v float switch and a 24v wet switch that fed back to the contactors 24v coil. I added in a push button start to bypass the contactor so I can start up the system.

Basically the system works like so. I push the start button which bypasses the contactor. This energizes the transformer. As long as the float on the aquarium is low enough it will allow the 24v circuit to continue. From there the 24v goes to the wet switch next to the sump which if it is dry will allow the 24v signal to go back to the contactor coil completing the circuit. When the circuit is complete the coil for the contactor is energized which maintains 120v power to the outlets which power my return pump and skimmer.

I was going to add in a wiring scematic for this but figured if you know enough about electricity to attempt it you won't need one. If you don't know what all of this means please do not try this at home. Remember 30volts of electricity can kill you and a typical household outlet is 120 volts.

Here's a few pics of the controller I made.

The 120v to 24v transformer used to power the 24v control circuit.
xformer.jpg

The 2 pole contactor I had to jumper 1 pole on so the start switch would work. ( a single pole contactor would have been much easier)
contactor.jpg

The start switch I wired in to bypass the contactor on the pole that wasn't jumpered.
startswitch.jpg

Standard outlet I used for the pump and skimmer to plug into. I liked that I found a black one. Looks much nicer.
outlet.jpg

Here's a pic of me verifying the voltages in the box. You can get an idea of the wiring in there I hope. Also, if you don't have a multimeter don't try this. Verifiying voltages without one hurts.
volttest.jpg

And of course the completed system. I should have located the outlet a little lower as the trim plate made the cover bulge a little. I may trim it out some if I get around to it.
complete.jpg

It works great and gives me a little piece of mind when I'm at work. I do still worry that I'm going to get a call from the landlord about a flood in the first floor apartment though. If the aquarium level gets to high the pump and skimmer shuts down. If my sump or skimmer cup overflows the system shuts down. I'm considering adding in 2 solenoid valves to it. One for the pump outlet and one for the overflow drain that will shut when the pump power goes out. I'm still trying to find affordable plastic solenoid valves though.

Like I said in the beginning. I was going to add in a wiring diagram for this but if you know enough to attempt this you shouldn't need one. If you don't know what this stuff does please do not attemp to make this. It may be a very simple system but electricity does kill.

Also, did I mention that electricity can kill you? I'm mechanically inclined, so I am a little afraid of electricity.

There are systems somewhat like this already out there. Mine just lets me spend more on corals since it didn't cost 200 bucks. I just thought I would post it since it seems almost everyone in this hobby has a flood problem at some point in time. I could be convinced to build one for someone if they really wanted me to. I am going to be getting rid of this one though as I am building a new one that will auto restart the pump when levels return to normal and add in some solenoid valves, and a water top off switch. Going to make my new one an all in one system that does everything.

Cool,I may build me one when I get my sump.Even though I hate working with electricty,it'd be better then the risk of flooding the floor,or burning up a pump.

:) that was exactly the type of device that I wanted for my sump. I was looking for one that would just drop the pumps offline if power was removed until I re instate the power to the unit. I never thought about using the transformer to supply its own power through the switch. I just picked up some radio shack parts and made me a auto top off unit for my sump. I tested it out tonight and it works fine. No more filling the sump every night now I only need to fill it every 5 gallons or so.

You got me thinking now Reef I should be able to use a similar system to yours and make exactly what I wanted for ALOT less then the $90 for the commercial ones.

Massey

P.S. I designed my sump to hold the syphon water that will return to the sump when power is cut. So for me having a safety for the sump overfilling is not needed because I designed that into the system from the start. It is still not a bad idea to have tho.

Massey

The wet switch is actually more for if the skimmer cup overflows it's just in the sump area. I've never really had a problem with the sump overflowing but the coralife skimmer I has overflows the cup sumetimes if I adjust it and not watch it for a while. The contactor was around $8 and the transformer was $5 I think or maybe backwards. I can buy the stuff at contractor prices though. I think if I had not already had some of the stuff it would have cost me $30-40 to make. It's a little over designed though. It is rated to 277 volts and 50 amps LOL a lot more than I will be putting through it.

Back