diy skimmer build.

phuture1

Reefing newb
ok guys. i'm at it again. i'm going to make a protein skimmer. the one i have now works pretty well but because it's made out of pvc i can't see where my water level is at. i just bought a Homemade Zeovit Reactor from a fellow reefer. its made out of clear pvc so i'm going to convert it into a skimmer. here are a few pics of it.

GEDC0989.jpg

GEDC0990.jpg

GEDC0991.jpg

thanks guys. i cut all the pieces and took a couple of pics of the parts and the basic idea of what this thing is going to look like.

GEDC0992.jpg

GEDC0994.jpg

GEDC0995.jpg

GEDC0996.jpg

ok guys. here is a little update. i changed up th design a little and started fabricating. here are the latest pics...

Attachments

• GEDC1007.jpg
    GEDC1007.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 718
  • GEDC1008.jpg
    GEDC1008.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 566
  • GEDC1001.jpg
    GEDC1001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 536
  • GEDC0999.jpg
    GEDC0999.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 539
  • GEDC0997.jpg
    GEDC0997.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 557
A Zeovit reactor is a well a reactor for Zeovit rocks. Zeovit is a method for achieving an "Ultra Low Nutrient System" which does well for SPS corals. Essentially, the rocks in the Zeovit reactor soak up phosphates and nitrates.

No, I'm not quite willing to make that leap.. I just do vodka dosing, and have used their Coral Snow and ZeoBac (bacteria strains). Zeovit is just too much dosing. It gets your water to less than .001 Phosphates and Nitrates, but then you have to dose in order for your corals to grow. The theory behind it is to more closely model the qualities of natural salt water, but there is no one dosing Amino Acids above the natural reefs.

They do create some amazing tanks though:

.:| ZEOvit.com Dream Tank of the Quarter |:.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlET5OoY_xU]YouTube - Reef Tank ZeoVit[/ame] (this is stunning)

skimmer is all done and works beautifully. the only thing i need to do is get a pvc gate valve and change out the ball valve i have on it now.

Attachments

• GEDC1014.jpg
    GEDC1014.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 636
  • GEDC1016.jpg
    GEDC1016.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 581
  • GEDC1019.jpg
    GEDC1019.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,081
i'm actually a carpenter. i just learned how to work with acrylic. with the proper tools it's not really that hard to work with. i've had the skimmer running since last night and it's working really well. once i swap out the ball valve for a gate valve i will be able to fine tune it a little better.

so far so good! this skimmer is working pretty well. :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Attachments

• GEDC1036.jpg
    GEDC1036.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,493
Back