diy sump

ok, not starting a fight, but i had to reply on this.

the first line, about the valves and unions. absolutely agree, from a maint. prospective, this is absolutely the way to do it.

the rest of it, well we may have to discuss a bit. Your reasoning is sound, i'm just not sure that your math is correct. if you have your overflow rated too much bigger than your pump, then the flow wont be swift enough to clear the air bubbles that get trapped at the top of the syphon u-tube. this can cause a flood, ask me, i know...

but i also partly agree about the other end of the spectrum, assuming that when you say 75% of the pumps rating, what you really ment was what the pump could actually put out after subtracting head losses... not the 0 head rating, which is what most people look at, and never consider de-rating the pump for head losses..

so, while i kinda agree with your logic, i would question your math untill i see something more solid in the way of #'s.

just my thoughts...

I guess I should have been more clear. I wouldn't use an overflow like a J-tube. I'd use a drilled overflow. That would never loose siphon. Air bubbles are a non issue.

But it you ARE using a J-tune overflow - I don't know how much to oversize it. Better ask somebody else.

I can't see why anyone would want to regulate the overflow via a valve. That seams like a disaster in the making. I would just put the valves in there so you could pull the pump out if you ever had a need to service it.

If you want to regulate flow, then shut off the return valve to slow the water coming out of the pump.

Back