DIYsump

Fishboy

Reefing newb
i have an old 30g aquarium and want to turn it into a sump. is their any good plans and an easy way to do this.

It's an easy build. Check out the DIY forums for plans and pictures to help you. It's easy with some planning. We can help, so ask away...

Here's mine, home made. On the left is the skimmer area, where the water falls into. Then the 3 baffles into the fuge in the middle. The las is the pump/return area. I had a glass guy do it for me.

DSC_0055.jpg

Yes, all glass, so I can scrape it clean once in a while. Here it is in action. HOB skimmer in the far back, tube from skimmer on tank, fuge in middle, and pump nearest, if you can see it. Works great and you can set it up all sorts of ways. Lots of plans and ideas out there.

DSC_0231.jpg

Wow!, my cheato has quadrupled in size since then!!!

nicely done!!

iv been looking at building one myself.. i really want to get rid of my tank hung skimmer, shes not pulling like i want it too...mostly yellow water instead of a good thick milkshake of nastyness..lol.. though right now i do not have a big tank load. ild just really like to have a nice clean look to the tank. good way to get rid of heaters and such as well. besides i like to tinker

of course i do not have a pre-drilled tank so il be useing an over the top syphon system. the drawback being if the syphon stops the tank overflows as the return pump doesnt know anything is wrong. i think i can cure this by putting a fire sprinkler tamper switch into the sump feed line. should the water cavitate or stop completely il have it tied to a momentary relay to control the return pump. if the water by chance starts to flow by itself again the switch will prove a flow and turn the pump back on

Back