Do Halogen lights affect anything?

nah they are purely asthetical differences and heat differences. the color is a bit yellow in the ones I've seen or just shearing white, I don't think I could do without the blues! but if that's all you have or want for some reason there aren't any contraindications such as germicidal wavelengths or anything, just some bright ole light. I have seen 'reef' halogens I suppose compensated for the coloring, likely with bulb tinting, but I am thinking you are talking about painter's halogens by the wording of the question?

The only issues with halogen lights are heat and they are the wrong color. They may look white, but they have too much in the red and yellow spectrum and could lead to some algae blooms. I have never seen any "reef" halogens, but there may be some out there somewhere.
They have no actual affect on fish or water quality.

I run Halogen's on my fuge and the chaeto grows well under it. They do produce heat and a strong plant light would probably be better.

Notice the goldfish......this is for aesthetics in a freshwater aquarium.
Lighting is very important in reef tanks.....not so much in FISH ONLY tanks.

Are you going to have any corals, polyps, mushrooms, etc? If so, don't cheap out on the lights....get yourself some good wattage Daylight & Actinic lighting.
If you are a FISH ONLY tank, you can use basic fluorescent lighting.

Give us some setup & tank details?

Also, if you are new, you shouldn't be adding fish so fast. One fish per two-three months average.

Back