Do I need a sump?

surfsca

Reefing newb
Hi I am new to salt water but want to start a tank. I know that a protein skimmer is good, I read somewhere it could flood though if you don't have sump. I also read that a reef octopus is a good skimmer. Will it fit into a sump though if yes what models. If I don't really need the sump then are there specific reef octopus skimmers that you know wont flood. If I do need a sump where can I buy one compatible with the reef octopus skimmer and what all else do I need to know to set up the sump?

I don't do the sump thing seems very complicated and a waste of good under cabinet space to me but many people have great success with them. I am sure some one here will argue for them though.

I use the reef octopus HOB skimmer which I love its small, quiet, and works like a charm.

If you are new to the hobby I would suggest going simple and with a tank that size you could go with the HOB skimmer easily.

You should learn about sumps by doing research and asking opinions which you have and then you should go with the option that you feel most comfortable with.

Good luck!

Go with the Hang On Back with a filter as well, just know your filter should be rated for twice your tank capacity for saltwater.

P.S. alot of people her do not care for canister filters, so do your research.

A sump is a large investment, and one it's going can be a huge benefit, but if you need to take your time to do it, then take your time.

Oh yeah, don't let anyone tell you to cycle your tank with fish. I'm sure you're aware but it's very frowned upon here. 1 table shrimp is So much cheaper.

Welcome, Happy New Year.

Do you NEED a sump.. No... A sump is good for a few reasons... More water volume means more stable tank,a place for pods to grow and be safe, a place to put all your equipment such as heaters and protein skimmer... So a sump is not necessary but does add to the tank ..

IMHO Get a piece of paper and start writing down the hardware you need to start a SW tank like a heater, skimmer, lighting and all the other goodies also add in the cost of rock and sand for the 56 gal you want to convert...Then look around for a self contained 30 gal tank like a JBJ or Aquapod etc. People will buy a smaller set up or if you go bigger or they also make a nice nurse or frag tank and see if you really like it you can always move up to a bigger tank later. This is a great hobby and can also be very frustrating so why not start small and see if you really want to jump in with both feet.

Great thoughts Toolman.

Good luck to your Giants Sunday. I'm pretty sure my Cowboys will choke, but I can handle the Giants over the Freakin Eagles.

Happy New Year!

Hi there! I have about the same size tank as you, I do not have a sump. I got an octopus hand on the back skimmer and it's been really amazing. That's the easiest way to take what you have and make it compatible. Let us know how it goes!

Sumps are really good there the best way to go.I had a 125g tank with sump octopus skimmer.my water was ALways clear fish and corals were happy.but in my 30g tank I only had a hang on the back filter.no sump didn't have the room.the tank did realy good but I always had to be checking my levels.and now I'm starting another 30 g tank.I only have a hang on the baCk filter I will be upgrading to a sump.
.welcome to this site. Good luck.

Back