Do I Need To Be Concerned?

KarenJax

Certified Master Stylist
Someone posted on my grooming board that serpent stars will attack and eat small fish as they sleep. I have a serpent star. I have small fish! The bratty blenny and 2 clowns. Do I need to pull the star out?

I don't personally have a serpent star but I don't think that's accurate. As far as I know, they're just a part of the cleanup crew. If it's dead or dying, they'll take care of the rest. Alot of people on here have serpent stars.

Maybe the person just thougt their serpent star was eating the fish, when in fact, it was just sitting on a fish that had already died?

My serpent star has never taken a fish. However he's not large enough to take any of my fish. Ive seen some REALLY big ones that if they wanted to munch on a fish it could I'm sure, but I believe them to be most scavengers of the dead and dying.

I also just want to note that I feed my CUC. They do their jobs well but I DO feed them every other day. My peps will come to the turkey baster and get their serving. I squirt some in the star's lair, he'll grab it and pull it in. My snails get fed too lol

I know I've seen posts on here about "green stars of death"... and if I remember correctly Biff had a star in her tank that tried to eat fish. But I don't really remember. I don't have a serpent star so I didn't really pay too much attention. Haha.

I have had both kinds before. I believe that the serpent stars are less aggressive but will still eat a fish IF it could catch one. Green brittle stars I have come to find out are much more aggressive and are better hunters. Recently my green brittle ate two cleaner shrimps and a red scooter blenny.

i have a decent piece of rock that has arms that come out of a bunch of different holes. Have determined 1 or a few serpent stars inside. Never seen em come out fully but those arms reach for food when i feed.

Back