Do i need to put silicone one both sides of refugium baffles?

Pheeshes

Reefing newb
ok, i'm building a sump/refugium out of a 20 gallon long tank for my 75 gallon tank. i had decided to use 4 sheets of glass for the bubble trap(3 sheets) and the divider between the fuge and the return area(1 sheet). i siliconed in the sheet that would be the middle of the bubble trap. i did it first because it's off the ground and i wanted to get both sides really good. the piece for the return divider is in place also with silicone on both sides. i the started to put in the first sheet of the bubble trap and saw that i was running out of silicone and also that i was going to have a very difficult time getting to the side between the 1st and 2nd and the 2nd and 3rd plates. do i really need to fashion some way to get the silicone down in there or will the one side be enough?

ok good, thanks. the i 3 i have in already are very sturdy. so i'm not worried any more. i've gotta put the other one in tonight so hopefully it'll be cured to test by saturday.

Last edited:
My bubble trap the one that's off the ground I did both sides the other two I did one side because ther was no way to get the other. The rest I did both sides.

one side is fine since you are using glass baffles. silicone bonds very well to glass. if you were using plexiglass I would suggest doing both sides. silicone doesn't bond very well to plexi, so it would need both sides for support.

Back