Do you have a background on your tank?

nensley

Reefing newb
I started with a goofy looking background that looked like a reef with anemones and stuff. Now I just have a solid blue and it still looks goofy. I noticed some of you don't have a background but instead have some purple stuff growing on the back of your tank. What is that? Is it something that comes with time? If you do have a fake background taped on, what kind is it? I want my tank to look good, not like I'm trying to fake it, KWIM? Thanks!!

The purple stuff is coralline algae. Good stuff to have. With time, and the right water parameters and lighting, coralline will grow. Lots of people like to spray paint the back of their tank. With my new tank, I just spray painted the back black and it looks really good. Some people prefer to spray paint it blue. It really is up to you.

just be patient and let your coralline grow, that is my background. It was covered in about 4 months.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Once you go black, you never go back:mrgreen: I love my black backround.

I honestly scrape the coraline off of the back of the tank. I like a "clean" lookin' backround. However, scraping the coraline of the back isn't neccesarily bad, it will seed the rest of the tank including the rocks.

BTW, I also used spray paint.

On my 30 I have a plastic one that I dont really like but it aint that bad. On my 55 I painted it black and love it. From now on they will all be black, and it really helps to bring out the colors of your tank.

One one tank,I have a black background that was spray painted.On the other,it has a peel and stick blue background similar to window tint.

I went wih the platic black background only because I plan on upgrading someday and this one will be turned into another freshwater tank.

OK Biff, you are a redneck in training. You are still smarter than I

Doc,
The way I see it,The more money I can save on stuff like a back ground,the more money I got for corals.

good way to think about it. Does your curtain have the faux flower print or the seashells and sea horses? :mrgreen:

Just flat black with little spots of coraline.
Wife didnt like the ones with seahorses and shells.Said it'd look kinda funny.

LOL !

I wonder how many people are thinking you are talking about window blinds!

I think I have the REDNECK tank backer Topped
I used the material from one of my wifes old Prom dresses as the backing way before I Painted the glass! BLACK BTW cant go wrong with BLACK! !

She wouldnt fit in it anymore anyhow !

Back