Do you know of any reef-safe puffers?

Chris_150G

Reefing newb
I had a dog faced puffer for the first year I had my tank running as salt water fish only. He caught ick from another fish and died. He was my favorite fish becaue he had a lot of personality. Does anyone know of a puffer species that can be in a reef?

Sorry their are no reef safe puffers that i know of they will all eat your clean up crew and some will even nip at corals:frustrat:

i had a ghost ribbon and he munched on a few fish... if you have bigger fish then a ribbon eel would be ok, but mine killed my royal gramma and nipped at my Coral Beauty until it died.

I kept a porcupine puffer in a full blown reef with no problems but that was an extremely rare case I think. I had cleaner shrimp, snails, etc, and he never bothered anyone or nipped at a single coral. He just stayed infront of the glass all day and watched everyone in the house. He could of careless what was going on around him. He was like a little puppy dog.

Sometimes you can add all of your shrimp, coral etc first let them get established then put a puffer in, but it is still a risk.

Reef safe triggers are the ones in the family "xanthichthys" also the pinktail I keep a male and a female crosshatch in my 850, they don't mess with anything, but my shrimp stay hidden as well, before I got the triggers they were out all the time.

Back