Does anyone REALLY run their tank with

nensley

Reefing newb
no sump, no filter, just live rock and a skimmer (and powerheads of course)? I appreciate everyone's help so far and the suggestions. Most have suggested I either get rid of that dumb Whisper filter or just run it empty for water movement. Since it was causing a ridiculous amount of salt creep I took it off. I have plenty of water movement between two powerheads and my skimmer. All of my parameters are fine. All seems well. Oh, and I am buying my water for changes from my LFS. They sell it already made up for--get this-- 35 cents per gallon. Even though I have to drive 40 minutes it is soooooo worth it and I can do a water change in 10 minutes! Love it!

Back to my original question. Does anyone here really run their tank like I am and are you successful at it? I just had so much trouble in the beginning and now that things are going well, I am waiting for a bomb to drop, KWIM? Encourage me please. Thanks!

If you think I need anything please tell me! Thanks!

well if you have a good skimmer one for maybe 40 or more you should be fine and that is a great deal already made my lfs sells five gal.s for 20
$

I would add a physical filter, even a HOB for your 29 would be fine.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I have a sump. But the only kind of filtration I have is a skimmer. No other filters, no canisters, nothing else. Except for a phosphate reactor. Which doesn't contain phosphate media, it contains nitrate media.

All i'm running on my 30 is a seaclone 100,,YES I said seaclone 100.
But all thats in the there is about 15 pounds of LS one seahorse and a little 1 1/2" mantis shrimp.There might be maybe 5 pounds of rock in it.

If you have a good skimmer you really shouldn't need a filter with the live rock. What do you have in your tank?

I ran a 72g. for about 5 years with only a skimmer,live rock and powerheads.
It can certainly be done and be done well.I would keep the whisper handy for running some carbon on a part time basis.

I am a fan of using a sump. I used to have 2 HOB Biowheels and it worked, but my tank looks so much cleaner with a sump. Run carbon to keep the water clean, even if it only part time. I also recommend a UV.

UV sterilizer. Uses UV to sterilize the water that passes through it. Good if you are having major algae or parasite problems that you can't seem to fix any other way. But not necessary.

If you have Tangs, it is a necessity. I also think it makes the water clearer. Nothing does a number on Ich like a UV steralizer. IMHO.

I had the same type of set up when I started and got really bad results and lost A Lot of fish. My Amonia Levels went up and the water was disgusting with no filtration. The power heads only cycle the water threw so much. I added a sump with a sock filter and have had no problems as of yet, my levels have been perfect. I would defenietly suggest more circulation even if it is just a canister filter with no media. I am not a fish expert, this is my personal experience.

I am running a CPR HOB refugium on my 30g reef. I have a little bitty Current Nano skimmer. And I have 2 powerheads that put out 120GPH each.

I was running a HOB canister for the initial setup and tank cycling, but I removed it yesterday.

All I got now is the refugium and 2 powerheads. :shock:

I have 27 pounds of live rock in my tank. About 1 pound of live rock in my refugium. A clump of cheatomorpha algea in my refugium that started out about the size of your fist and it now about the size of a large grapefruit.

I'm planning to get more live rock soon. I want minimum 60 poundsw of live rock. My goal is 90 pounds.

So you're telling me i can get rid of the dreadful hob I'm using and just stick with my canister and my skimmer? Oh, and I also have about 55lbs of live rock on a 45 gallon tank :)

Back