does anyone use this stuff?

phuture1

Reefing newb
hi all. a friend of mine swears by this stuff. any feelings on it?

Attachments

• red.jpg
    red.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 302
It's a temporary fix, by temporary I mean a week. It breaks up the red slime into your water column. If you don't remove it by a rather large water change it'll come back, and it'll be immune for the most part. Also, I don't think it's very good for your corals, if you have any.

How old are your lights? Checks your water flow and make sure you've got some nice flow across your sand bed.

my lights are about 4 months old. someone also told me that because my calcium was low there wasnt enough "good algae" to use up the nutrients that the red slime is feeding off of.

+1 Sniffles

Even if your parameters are good,algae will supply itself with the nutrients it needs.It does that by trapping and holding the waste and uneaten fish food.
What I would suggest,Is when you do your next water change,do a 20 to 30% change siphoning out as much of the cyano and algae as possible.If you have hair algae,pick as much of that as you can out as well.Then kill the tank lights for 3 or 4 days.Then the day you turn the lights back on,do another 20 to 30% water change,again siphoning out any algae you see.
It may take several times doing that,but you'll eventually get ahead of the algae and be able to control it.

It tells you do a large water change on the instructions. I just recently had a BAD cyano outbreak on my sand bed and used a similar product and it worked very well. I shut off my skimmer for the first 24 hrs, then waited another 24 hours then did a large 25% water change while syphoning out as much cyano I could find. I then went out to petco and bought a real cheapy powerhead and mounted low in the tank blowing right across my sandbed and I haven't had an issue since. Just be sure to watch your skimmer when you turn it back on because it will go absolutely NUTS!!!! My foam column pushed the lid off my skimmer and I had to check it like every 10 minutes to wipe off all foam that wouldn't collect in the cup. I had to deal with that for about a day or two. Then it calmed down.

OHH I forgot! Make sure you monitor the oxygen level in your tank because it drop very low and your more sensitive animals may not like it. I gotta set up a "QT" tank for my mandarine because he really doesn't do so well.

Back